Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Two Days In One!!

Dawson Creek to Fort Nelson.  It was a great road, just cruising along looking at the beautiful scenery!
Yup ... I think I could live here.  Except for the occasional bad road, 10% grades and "holy cow" hills, it was unremarkable.  I do remember thinking a couple of times ... what have I gotten myself into ... but that went away around the next corner!!
It's green and gorgeous ... springtime in British Columbia!!
Good driving conditions ... at least there's not much snow to be seen.
Here's one of Nick's "heebie jeebie" bridges!!  The height didn't bother me, it was the grooves in the grating!!   
Finally Fort Nelson ... a very nice, quiet RV park, except for Dan and I screaming because the internet wouldn't work.  He finally made a trip to the office and asked them to turn it on.  It worked long enough to get a post in yesterday, but not long enough for me to do the same.

The Heritage Museum is a must see.  One building was totally crammed with old cars owned by Marlin Brown ... Marl as his friends call him.  
Great stuff at this place, some under lock and key.  You have to see the local kids to get in.
This was oil country ... 
Love the old motorcycles ... he had two ...
Here's Patty contemplating the laundry ...
Packard ... mint condition.
Studebaker ... mint condition ...
Like I said, the building was full.  
Later that evening, Patty and I went for a walk and found 6 shining examples of Caterpillars used in building the Alaskan Highway.  They were all cable rigs and VERY impressive, being the old Cat Skinner that I am .....

Fort Nelson to Laird Hot Springs

Right out the door Dan spied these two beauties ... they were in a hurry to get somewhere, so I didn't get a great picture.  It was at this point that I set up my good camera, determined to stop the next few sightings.
We went over lots of bridges like this one ... I try to stay as far behind Dan as possible ... LOL!!
Sheep were everywhere on this section of the road ... Stone Sheep I'm guessing.  Not the least bit shy, he just kept eating the gravel while I snapped away.
This big guy posed for me ...
 A little further along, this beautiful cow was going for a pedicure ... standing in the muddiest spot within miles.
These big guys were parked on the side of the road.  This Alaskan Highway is a boon for bison ... 500 miles of pasture.  
There were so many spectacular views, I can't publish them all.
Arriving at Laird Hot Springs, we headed up the long boardwalk to jump in.  The logs in the water are benches to sit on.  The further up in the picture, the hotter the water.  It was rather cool on your feet, but hot hot at the water level.
This is where the hot spring comes out of the mountain and down into the pond.
We returned later in the evening, even though it looks like broad daylight ... and it was raining.  
We are only here for one night, then it's off to Watson Lake.  This has been an amazing trip so far.  I feel so lucky to be able to drive this rig through this beautiful country.

















No comments:

Post a Comment