Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Goodbye Skagway ... Hello Whitehorse ...

Sadly we had to leave Skagway and the Chance family friends.  They are an amazing group of people, from Trader Corrington to his wonderful charismatic daughter Sherry to Mark and his family getting ready to live off the grid to Maggie with her great sense of humor and wonderful friendly Lisa who hikes every night!!  I'll never forget them ... and hope I can return soon!!

We fueled up before we left at $4.799 a gallon.  Good thing because going up the hill out of Skagway, I watched a quarter of a tank disappear before my eyes!!!
Before we hit the Alaska Highway, we stopped at magnificent Emerald Lake.  You can see how it got it's name.  The color comes from the sun reflecting on the rock flour, called marl (calcium carbonate) that settles on the bottom of the lake.
Once out of the canyon, the wind came up ... I hate driving when it's windy!!  We arrived shortly thereafter in Whitehorse ... it's not a very far drive.  Funny how the weather can change.  We went in the visitors center for ten minutes ... when we came out, it was overcast and C O L D!!!  By the way, I highly recommend checking out the Visitors Center ... in every town you stop.  They have an amazing amount of good information, from the best place to eat, the nicest place to stay and available activities.  They also know where the quilt shops are!!!

As usual, Lunch was immediately at the top of the list.  Dan said he had a great place in mind ... the Klondike Rib and Salmon.  Being one of the oldest buildings in Whitehorse, you had to enter through part of the kitchen ... the inside looks like a trappers cabin.  
The favorite on the menu was halibut fish and chips ... with the biggest pieces I've ever seen.  However, when I saw halibut chowder, I just had to try it.  It was worth every penny of the $7.95 price.
It came with this HUGE piece of foccaccia bread ... everything is bigger in the Klondike!!!
I also couldn't turn down the halibut fish and chips.  You can have as many pieces as you want, but I went for one.  Here's what's left of Dan's order.  He was right ... it was amazing.  The best I've ever had.  My lunch came to $25 ... not cheap, by any means, but this place goes to the top of my all time best restaurant list ... and was so much food, I won't eat dinner!!
We are parked in the Pioneer RV Park here, full hookups for $30 per night, including WiFi.  Since Dan and I have become so addicted to writing the blogs, we won't stay if internet isn't available.  My Sprint MiFi doesn't reach this far north, and if it did, I couldn't afford the price.  When we got to town yesterday, I was saying how great it was ... I had a good phone signal.  I was posting on Facebook, checking my mail and sending pictures to friends.  THEN came the realization that we were roaming in CANADA!!!  Eeeeek!!!  I quickly shut off the cellular data before I got a $700 bill!!!

As I said, the weather changes quickly.  Last night at 9:30 pm I took this picture.  See how sunny it is??  At 9:30!!!!  The sun goes down around 11:30 ... well kind of.  It actually stays light all night long.  By morning, it was cold, rainy and ugly with lots of black clouds.  The old saying "if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes", seems to be the truth up here.  Not sure what's on the agenda today.  I'll let you know tomorrow morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment