Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Good and Bad ... Washing My Rig!!

The good .. the rig and car are clean (sort of).  The bad .. I hurt all over!!!  After about 52 days on the road, it was time for a wash.  There is lots of road construction going on while the sun shines.  I don't know what they put in the water up here, but it makes the roads, and therefore the bottom half of my rig, covered with a sandpaper-like product.  You can wet it, wash with a brush, rinse, and it doesn't look like you did anything.  Dan and I started about 9:30 this morning on our cars .. I finished my Liberty and rig about 1:30.  I wore my shortest shorts, hoping some nice guy would come help, but alas there were no offers, except for me to wash a motorcycle.  Sorry dude ....

Anyway, since we are leaving today, Patty and I hit the one and only native crafts store.  I'm trying to get just one nice thing from each major city, as mementos of this trip.  I am so surprised that there is not more available here.  I guess since there are no cruise ships, there are no gift stores.  I picked up this nice basket, with seal and caribou fur, made by a local artist.
While out running around, we stopped by the Maxine and Jesse Whitney Museum at the Community College here.  At one time the largest private collection of native arts and artifacts, it was donated to the Prince William Sound Community College and is maintained by donations.  If you visit here, be sure and check it out.  They have the most amazing collection of native animals also.
While Patty created some great Halibut Chowder, I used up the last of the rhubarb and made a coffee cake for breakfast.   When you're on a roll ... next I gave Cooper a haircut.  It's a good thing he doesn't care what he looks like!!  I forgot to bring the attachment to make sure I didn't go too short.  He looks pretty crazy ... I just tell people he did it himself!!  

We are moving on to Anchorage this morning, stiff and sore as I am, heading off on another adventure!!

1 comment:

  1. Your best bet for purchasing native items is at the local museums. I did that in Fairbanks a your the gift shop in the University. Going to Anchorage...buy your reindeer sausage at Costco...WONDERFUL....David introduced the sausage to me in Tok and loved it. Enjoy your travels; say hello to Dan and Patty. Lynn Cross

    ReplyDelete