Thursday, June 6, 2013

It Was A Bear Of A Day!!!!!

Liard Hot Springs to Watson Lake!!

I asked Patty and Dan to please call ahead and make sure there were lots of animals along the highway -- and they did!!!  Finally, I got smart, and set up my good camera by my side.  I forewarned everyone that I would be stopping for photo ops.  Sure enough, right out of town, the bears were posing!!  This guy is keeping an eye on Dan while I shoot out my window.  They really weren't concerned much at all and just kept eating the dandelions.  Blackie here has a mouthful ...
There were 6 or 7 bear along the road.  This poor baby had a hole in his head ... must have lost the fight.
There were more bison laying along the road with lots of babies, but I couldn't hit the brakes fast enough.   Most were solitary males.  The fuzzy spots you see are the dozens of large bugs smashed on my windshield.  They have some rather large mosquitos here!!!
Not much farther up the road were these babies!!  Wild horses in Canada ... who knew??  This guy is probably a stud horse since he's the biggest .. he looks part draft horse with really large feet.  Obviously in excellent condition!
This Paint horse was pretty thin, as was the black and the white (not pictured).

Scenery is again beautiful ... the clouds here make for wonderful pictures.
We crossed over into Yukon Territory.  I've covered over 2600 miles so far!!
And finally we arrived in Watson Lake.  It's windy and cold, but WE HAVE INTERNET!!
Thank goodness there's several fuel stations.  I was almost to the generator red line ... the lowest it has EVER been and I was getting nervous.  The bad news was the $377.00 it cost to fill the tank.  I think it was $1.449 per litre.  You do the math, cuz I can never figure it out!!

Aside from being central to the Alaska Highway construction, Watson Lake is known for it's sign forest.  
In 1940-something, the first sign was placed on this post by a lonely serviceman working on the road.  As we arrived, they were taking the original signs down for painting before reinstalling them.
It's amazing the number of signs ... the count in 2012 was 75,000+  See anything familiar??



It was a GREAT BEAR of a day!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment