Saturday, September 1, 2012

Always Exciting in GCNP!!!

Being the great watch dogs that they are, my two little ones started barking early one morning, prompting me to look out the window to find this beauty next to my jeep.  Just as I grabbed my camera and headed out, another "photographer" got just a little too close and this big bull made a dash for him, head down and antlers ready!!  Needless to say, I slipped back behind the jeep ... maybe not the smartest thing to do since by then he was thrashing his antlers in the bushes.  I was just hoping I didn't have to explain any dents to my insurance agent.  After about an hour, he sauntered off to the next patch of green grass!!
Dan had mentioned that he had a Forest Service Map which he had used to go exploring on his dirt bike ... so he offered it to me for jeep exploring.  He said the roads, although dirt, were in good shape and I should have no problem finding the Hull Cabin ... an old sheep ranch.  So off exploring I went!!!
This fire lookout was the first structure I found, located on part of the Arizona Trail, which according to the sign, runs from somewhere up north (Wyoming maybe) all the way to Mexico.  Now that's a long walk!!  I only made it half way up ... paralyzing fear caused me to hang on for dear life and climb back down!!!
Finally reaching the cabin site, there was this old barn made of rough sawn logs on a foundation of big rocks.  Inside was one saddle rack and a manger, no sheep.
Outside was this little guy taking a sun bath!!!
I moved on to the cabin, which consisted of three rooms ... living room, kitchen and bedroom with bunk beds.  What else do you need??
Out back by the wood box I caught these two guys playing tag on the log.  I think they scared me as much as I scared them ... but they posed for me anyway!!
This whole area was hit by a wildfire last year, resulting in beautiful foliage colors.  You can see exactly how far up the fire went.
Back at camp, I headed up to the Chance residence to feed Sami when I spied a cottontail rabbit by their trailer.  Guess I was paying too much attention to the rabbit ... cuz one of the neighbors hollered at me to move ..... quickly!!!!   About 15 feet behind me was a big bull elk looking right at me.  Boy did I jump ..... right behind the first truck I spied.  I'm sure it was a conspiracy between the bunny and the elk ... you keep her busy, I'll whack her from behind!!!!   

Not to be outdone by the elk, this huge mule deer met Jessie, Cooper and I at the door at 5:00 this morning ... of course Jessie chased after him.  Again, I didn't see it at first.  I thought it must be another cottontail ... BIG mistake!!!!  As we walked around the front of the motorhome, here he came headed straight for us.  After being frightened at first, he figured he could stomp little Jessie into dust ......  we back peddled really fast, me trying to shorten the leashes while running backwards.  Whew ... that was really close!!!!!!!
I put the dogs away and of course grabbed my camera ... to return and find TWO mule deer bucks having a discussion about who was the biggest.
About 30 minutes later, they wandered off to greener pastures.  What a great way to wake up ... to this beauty in my front yard!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment