Sometimes you are lucky enough to meet the most wonderful people on the planet. That happened to me when I joined the Golden Spike Railroad group. These two people were officers in the group and good friends of my friends Patty and Dan. Meet Barbara and Tom Westerfield. Rarely, if ever, did you see anything but a smile on Barbara's face. Same for Tom, just not in this picture, I think because he was starving. This was at a restaurant in Maine where we had lobsters galore.
Not having had my RV for very long, I said HECK YEAH! Let's go. And go we did.
We started on the west coast of California and drove all the way to Maine and back. We were looking for two things along the way. Barbara LOVED bread pudding, so we were on a mission to find the best one in the U.S. I've never eaten so much bread pudding in my LIFE!! The second was to find the best ice cream. I mean just look at that smile. I saw that every single day.
We drove through streets in Gallup New Mexico where I grazed the trash cans on either side. I just followed Tom like I knew what I was doing. Barbara gave me a walkie talkie so we could stay in contact. All along the way she would tell me about things we were going to see. Zoos, art shows, memorials in Oklahoma City and tornado damage.
Oh yes, we went right through tornado country. Barbara navigated us around SEVERAL until we got to St Louis. One night the wind and rain came up so strongly that we pulled in the slides. I kept asking her on the radio when we were going to the tornado shelter. OH NO she said ... it will be fine. The puppies and I cowered in the corner.
The next time we had to pull the slides in, I forgot to close a drawer. Yup I crushed it. Tom, the expert woodworker, took that drawer, took it apart, glued it up and nailed it back together, good as new.
We stopped at Moose Lodges, Elks Lodges, parking lots and Walmarts, some times having ice cream for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There was never a dull moment. Even when they took me up to the top of the St Louis Arch. I'm terribly claustrophobic, so they held my hand as we got in the teeny tiny tin can to ride to the top. Barbara said it would all be okay. And it was.
We made it to New York where we got soaking wet on the boat ride at Niagara Falls, stopped in museum after museum and laughed the entire way ... mostly them laughing at me ... until we hit Maine for some fabulous lobster. She oh so patiently tried to teach me to knit, but I was terrible at it. It was the trip of a lifetime for me, but just another adventure for them.
I don't think I EVER laughed so much as I did on that trip because of Barbara's smile and sense of humor. She was a big advocate for dogs and cats, working for SPCA for many years. In fact, they both helped me with Kitters when I first found her.
It is with a very heavy heart that I say Barbara passed away yesterday afternoon. There was just no one like her on the planet. I'm going to miss her terribly. Please say a few prayers for Tom and their family.
Rest in peace Barbara, surrounded by all the kitties and puppies you took care of for so many years. I'm a better person for having known you!!!



Thanks Nancy. So sorry to hear of Barbara’s passing. Lynn Cross
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear this news, Nancy!
ReplyDeleteI'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your dear friend. May she rest in peace.
ReplyDeleteFrances
It is always sad when we have to say goodbye to a dear friends. My prayers are with you, Tom and her family. My Granddaughter (in her 20's) shared your same feelings when we did the St. Louis Arch. Take care.
ReplyDeleteNancy I am so sorry that your friend Barbara has passed and
ReplyDeleteyou were so lucky to have her and Tom in your life. Especially doing a cross country road trip. A lot of stories from that trip I bet. Those folks knew how to have fun. Prayers for Tom and their family.
Sue
Nancy, I'm so saddened to hear of Barbara's passing. She had such a happy, positive spirit that rubbed off on everyone she met. Although I haven't kept in close touch with my RV friends, I will miss her. And I'll remember the fun times Don and I had with her and Tom. May her spirit now be at rest. ๐๐๐
ReplyDeleteI met Barbara when she taught a geocaching class at one of the Gypsy Gatherings. She will be remembered by MANY people.
ReplyDeleteLinda Sand
I had heard about Barbara and Tom many years ago. Always wished our paths would cross but missed that. Please pass our deepest condolences to Tom and their Families.
ReplyDeleteStay Safe.
How very sad. It looks like she had a happy fulfilled life. RIP Barbara. The St. Louis Arch? I agree, not a fun experience when you are claustrophobic.
ReplyDeleteSuch a sad post
ReplyDeleteThis is so sad! RIP Barbara. Lovely tribute, Nancy.
ReplyDeleteSo very sorry to hear about your dear friend. I smiled with you as you wrote about all the good times. Hang onto those amazing memories.
ReplyDeleteThanks Nancy. You can help me with her obit .....tom
ReplyDelete