Well HELLO Mother Nature!! She's putting out beautiful tomatoes like crazy. These are small, but mighty ... and they are free from one of my old ranch neighbors. They are the sweetest most perfect tomatoes I've had in my life.
On the other hand, Mother Nature is having hot flashes because it's has been and is going to be, over 100 degrees for the next 10 days! YIKES! We must be listing towards the sun nowadays. I guess I can survive as long as I have tomatoes like this for breakfast every day!! Long live the BLT and grilled cheese with tomatoes!
It was going to be a boring one. I was scheduled to help out at the Elks Lodge for the big political rally going on. Not that I was there for the political part ... that is just NOT my thing. Shaking hands and rubbing elbows with mucky mucks has never been on my list. On the other hand, the grandson of one of our fabulous volunteers, works in Washington D.C. for the big time politicians, and he came to hang out.
I think he's going to make a name for himself. If anyone remembers Gary Condit ... this kid met him in the hallway one day and had a picture taken. He has pictures with every one of those folks you see on the news nowadays. He then had a T-shirt made that said I MET GARY CONDIT AND LIVED TO TELL ABOUT IT. The Washington crowd apparently got a big kick out of that one. I think this kid is going places.
So in the meantime, I finished the binding on yet another quilt. I have a feeling this is the last year I will be making so many. I'm running out of momentum.
At 3:00 I was off to the lodge. Though I expected lots of people to be there because I was told the "special" meeting was at 4:00 and the FOOD part at 5:00, they were off by two hours.
I won't name names here, but the special part was an in-person meeting for which I think the participants paid over $1,000 each. After all, this is a campaign to raise money event.
I spent the first hour helping hang a 10' x 15' American flag on the stage and scrounged through our storeroom for three extension cords so the spotlights would be "just right". They already had these cool uprights that were red, white and blue. I just might have to get a couple of those for my front porch!
The menu was on the board in the kitchen. This is an appetizer event only, so they had to be magnificent ones. We began by setting up shrimp plates because luckily all the fruit had been cut and plated already. The meatballs went in the oven while we made the ham and turkey rollups. I don't know how many pieces were in those enormous packages, but we rolled up SIX packages in total.
While our Lodge Chef began to carry out those HUGE way-too-heavy glass trays with the fruit, we fried up the best chicken wings we have ever had. I'm going to buy a box of those. They were made all the better by the change to beef tallow oil for frying. No kidding ... if you haven't noticed the difference at any of the fast food places ... that stuff makes anything fried SO MUCH BETTER. AND it's better for you!
There was a bit of discussion over the meatball sauce since the lady asked for chili sauce and grape jelly. I know, sounds terrible, but it's REALLY good. Like a sweet chili sauce! My mom made that years ago.
Here's the final table. As you can see, those chicken wings didn't last 5 minutes!! I kept watch while the other two gals hobnobbed with the mucky mucks. I guess I've just never been impressed by "suits" or celebrities.
When the main meeting began, we picked up most of the food, to be brought out again at the end. That was enough for me ... I was out of there in a flash. Four hours of climbing ladders and standing up running around made my back talk mean to me. Besides, I've heard all the rhetoric before.
I have absolutely nothing on the schedule for today. Maybe lying in the sun for a while around 8:00. Any later and it's way too hot.
Tug of war with purple puppy toy ............. Cooper always won!
No comments:
Post a Comment