Thursday, December 1, 2022

Hello December

 HAPPY DECEMBER!!!  Christmas is almost here ... have you done all your shopping yet?  I'm pretty lucky I guess (or maybe not) that I only have to get a few small things for friends.  That's actually good because about the only stores we have to shop at are Walmart and the 99 Cent Store (now the $1.25 store).  It helps me become more creative!!

It's supposed to rain all day long today, a massive snow storm coming through the Sierras.  They have been talking about it all week like it was a tornado!  Somehow people don't seem to remember this was the norm not that many years ago.


After my oh-so-tasty breakfast of a tamale ... I showed great restraint by not eating THREE ... I sat down to await the alarm company.  If I hadn't seen the truck, I would have been very suspect of the guy at my door.  No uniform ... no badge ... but carrying a tool belt and a ladder.  I questioned the ladder until he said he needed to see the main box, which is much higher on the wall than he was tall.

He messed with it for about ten minutes, then just reset the alarm, which went off immediately, making my head look like this.  Boy that thing is LOUD!!


Poor Cooper was shaking in his boots.  Back to the control panel ... this is not mine by the way, but a picture of a different brand from the internet ... he pushed another twenty buttons and announced it was fixed.  YAY!!  Truly, this house is like Fort Knox, for which I'm thankful.  I'm back in business!


I spent some time in the sewing room, working on another quilt using leftover fabric.  I've been trying to come up with something for these four leather pictures for ages.  Maybe this time I'll succeed!


That's when Cooper began barking up a storm.  Someone was in the back yard.  It's rather disconcerting when someone shows up at your house to do work and doesn't bother to knock on the door to let you know they are there.  It was the painters, back to check the wall.  They are lucky they didn't get shot!  You really don't want to be sneaking around my house without telling me.

The test wall was washed down with soapy water the day before.  It seems to have worked.  By the afternoon when the sun was full on, you couldn't see anything.  It just looked like fresh paint.  That meant they had to wash BOTH walls hanging off a ladder at about the 15 foot level.  I'm waiting one more day for another picture to see if it holds.

They finished up some painting on door and window frames before gathering up all their six ladders and mucho buckets.  I was hoping they might leave a canvas or two, but they all got picked up.  Then they swept the entire area.  That was nice ..... and they were gone!  

I have to admit I was kind of happy ... no more being extra careful not to scare them to death in the early morning hours before I make myself presentable.  And no more scaring ME when they show up unannounced.

Ahhhh I've got the whole afternoon to recover from Bingo.  It didn't last long though.  I just can't seem to sit still.  I gathered up more leftover fabric and cut it into strips.  This pattern will look very familiar to Miss Patty.  It's our super easy favorite.


It's going to be a busy one ... put on your sunglasses ... but I'll be happy to have four yards less material to store.  As usual, the pictures don't reflect the real colors very well.


Next up I spent an hour or so working on my emails.  I had to wade through 445 of them, with only about ten worth reading.  SO MUCH SPAM!!!  I keep getting notices from PAYPAL that say So-and-So has sent in a claim of $500 on my account.  If I don't respond, it's going to be paid out.  Funny thing, I haven't had a PayPal account in about 15 years.  


I've been blocking these guys til the cows come home but they still show up.  This morning I discovered a tiny three dot icon to click on.  Apparently I can make them go directly to jail, NOT passing GO!  I knew I could, I just couldn't find the WHERE to do it!  Sayonara my scammer friends.  Now instead of just a red hand on your email, you will get the red hand of death and be deleted immediately!!!  I can't tell you how satisfying THAT is!!!

Tonight is yet another Elks late dinner.  I think it's Construction Night.  You wouldn't think having steak, potatoes and a vegetable two nights a month would be boring, but it gets that way quickly.  Dinner will be followed by another raffle (I don't buy in any more) and a long meeting to vote on new members.  Every year we get the award for the most new members, which is a good thing I guess.  I think I feel a cold coming on ... I might just be too sick to attend.



21 comments:

  1. Glad washing the wall has fixed the problem.
    Also glad to hear Fort Knox is once again re-armed!
    The fabric is very busy. Made me cross eyed this early in the morning! You should have given more warning. Lol.
    I’ve been getting more spam/scam stuff too. Not nearly as many as you but an increase. What PITA it is to deal with. Blocking only works if they send from the exact same email address, if they even change a letter it’s new and you get to block them again. We need a better system. I’m too old for this time wasting.
    The steak dinner doesn’t appeal to me at all. I’d skip the dinner and just go for the meeting, of course a cold should not be shared, so maybe it would necessary to skip the meeting too. Lol

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a cold. I was just putting an excuse out there. Steak doesn't make my heart beat faster either! But a good chicken ...... now that's my kind of food.

      Delete
  2. Glass of Beer in Hand: Here's to the snow, the paint being fixed, the alarm being fixed, and your restraint in pulling the trigger! Now I am too drunk to do anything all day! lol (no, I really don't drink that much...although I like a Hard Mike's Seltzer with my dinner just about every day)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! Painters are gone, alarm fixed and you are happy with the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good!!! No more sneaking around the house. Me, not them!!

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear all is good now! I am amazed at the spam I get to nowadays...geez. I'm bad about checking my emails, because it's mostly stores and all their bargains LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't check it at all, but at least once a day, I get an email I need to see.

      Delete
  5. Yes it's amazing how many emails I get. That's one of my morning chores....delete...delete...delete. It's good to see that repairs are coming right along. I guess you don't need Andy after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I can ALWAYS use an Andy, Elva!!! Even if you're not handy, you can take the garbage bins to the curb.

      Delete
  6. Our society has become a bunch of wimps, for sure. Everything is doom and gloom. In the old days we used to just love big storms as it meant it might flood and no school and we'd go out and see what was happening around town. Now a days, everything seems to be a big storm. I think it sells ads.
    On another note, you need to use the unsubscribe at the bottom of each spam email otherwise they will just keep coming until there are more than you can handle, which sounds like where you are. A month or so spam really increased in my mailbox and I was a bit leery of doing this,
    but it has stopped most of them, with no ill effects.
    Bobseyes.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to unsubscribe, but it felt like that just told them it was active and they would send more. I'll try it again!!

      Delete
    2. I used to think the same but time marches on and things change in computering. Browsers mostly protect us from the bad guys, and I was surprised that most of the unsubscribes worked. Things were starting to get ridiculous. And here it is I'm trying to get to sleep, and you are up and at em. :O)
      Bobseyes.net

      Delete
  7. I don't know where you live that is so frightening, but maybe you should move?? I moved into town from the country, in TX, a town of only 20, 000 where I grew up, And I had the alarm system disconnected. There are very few break-ins or robberies or burglaries. No matter if you live in the rich part of town, or in the poor part of town....I live in a very mixed neighborhood, different races, rentals, long time home owners. I don't even lock my door when I leave in the daytime. Is your town really bad???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's bad for thievery. The are two bad parts of town you don't even want to drive through, whose residents come over to this side and steal from mailboxes and porches every day. Yes, EVERY day. Meth coming across the border is rampant with no wall and no border checks to stop it thanks to the current government. They need money to buy meth, so they steal ... constantly.

      Delete
  8. Of course I could get my throat cut some day by some wacko. But I do not live in fear.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True ... around here you just need to lock things up. Mostly they steal, then kill each other, so there's that .....

      Delete
  9. Glad all ended up well with the painting and everyone parted amicably. Now on to other costly projects. Wonder why you need such strong security. I thought everyone was rich in California and no one needed to steal. Could be wrong. I bet you went to the dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug, since the border has been taken down, not only do the illegals come in, but the drug cartels are in 7th Heaven. They can walk anything they want across the border. Drug sales of Meth are at an all time high, and there's so much of it, it's cheap. It's causing havoc for everyone.

      Delete
  10. I'm also glad things got fixed up around your place. I hope the paint holds up.
    Good job for peace of mind to get your alarm fixed too, it would be unnerving for me to be living on my own too. Of course, Coop is a great watch dog. 🥰
    The steak dinner sounds good. 😋 I'm sure you went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit the nail on the head ... living on your own does make a difference.

      Delete