Wednesday, November 30, 2022

The Benefits of Bingo

 HOO-WEE!!  It's a lovely 35 degrees this morning as I lounge in my warm-er house.  I finally turned the heat up a tad in the mornings.  I guess just the thought of dollars spinning in my head when it runs has made me keep it cold inside too.  I think Cooper is happier and I KNOW Jonathan appreciates it.  

It was hard to get up this morning, as it always is after a long night of Bingo.  By my time, it's midnight before I get to bed with visions of kicking and hair pulling in my head.


But first ... I was off yesterday at 8:00 in the morning, a rare occasion indeed.  I never leave the house before 10:00, even if I DO get up at 4 am.  I was off to Walmart ... my only option ... to find these batteries.  There was one guy at the door and only ONE checker in the entire store.  

That became a problem when the 25 foot long case of batteries was locked up like Fort Knox.  No one had a key and no one seemed to know where it would be if they HAD one.  I stared longingly at the batteries I needed, lounging behind the glass.

Both people said they would call someone.  Fifteen minutes later, I'm still standing there.  I walked to the office door, banged on it like I was breaking in and FINALLY someone came out.  It took her another five minutes to find the key before I paid and left.  Yes I could have ordered them on Amazon, but they would not be delivered until December 7.  That would mean trying to figure out how to bypass the motion detector EVERY SINGLE DAY or listen to the incessant beeping until then.  

Sadly, I paid MUCH more at Walmart than they are on Amazon.  Almost double in fact.  The good news is I got it back in place and it works!!
Just to make it more difficult, as soon as I plugged it back in, I got yet ANOTHER error message.  For this one the tech guys have to come out.  I made it perfectly clear I was NOT paying for this call.  They should be here this morning.

As for the paint, it is the consensus of the paint store and three local painting contractors, that it is in the paint itself.  It is sort of like a white residue that is coming out of the paint due to the cold.  I'm not sure I buy that, but Kelly Moore agreed they have had it happen a few times with this particular (and very expensive I might add) paint.

Yesterday my painter wiped it all down and it completely disappeared.  It's got three coats on it, so we shall see.  Yes I would prefer they paint it again.   Just another bump in the road.


And so I was all geared up and OFF to Bingo!!  The Knights all showed up this time and we had lots of laughs in the Castle tower before heading down to work.  I don't know how I got so lucky as to find Jackie.  She's like a ball of fire that girl, and runs on and on like the Energizer Bunny.  I don't have to do anything but sit down when she's there.

On this day however, the ER wanted to learn everything about the infernal machine.  I warned her, but she persisted.  She watched me for about ten minutes before saying she missed everything I did.  I tend to go really fast to keep the line moving.  It makes the peasants very happy.

I finally let her take over while I watched, catching a couple of mistakes and showing her the shortcuts.  She actually did VERY well.  YAY!!  Another VICTIM ..... I mean Helper ..... for when I'm gone!!  The other gal that cashiers was so thrilled to have help, she was doing a Happy Dance.

Here is a big PLUS when it comes to Bingo.  Some of these players cook the best Mexican food EVER.  I learned quite by accident that a couple I love to see, who speak very little English, make tamales.  Yes I make them too, but they are a lot of work.  Last week I ordered THREE dozen.  If they are going to make them for you, you have to make it worth it.  

OMG ... these are the best tamales I've ever eaten.  They brought them right out of the steamer, and they are huge like I would make, with plenty of masa and a delicious filling of chicken and green chilies.  I'll never make another one as long as I live if this couple will make them for me.


I stashed them in the fridge at the lodge until I was done for the night.  Most of them are now sleeping in my freezer.


Then it was on to more training ... how to close out the night.  I explained to her about the infernal machine and why that was it's name.  She was very surprised at the amount of work it takes to do my job.  I was extra careful to be sure we balanced to the penny.  That way they want to come back and do it again!!

Oh there WAS one player ... she must have taken a bath in marijuana.  No kidding, I smell drugs on some of these folks a LOT ... but THIS!!!  This was the worst.  She must have just come in from a little smoke outside.  Woohoo, it was STRONG!!   I happen to be allergic, so lots of sneezes ensued.  Thats why so many people didn't show up the night we said the Sheriff's new dog was going to visit.

There were no fights and no hair pulling this time.  Just one small disagreement on whose name was on that exact chair.  We made them draw straws.  So much for another fun night at Bingo!!

I'm headed to the fridge next.  I'm having amazingly delicious TAMALES for breakfast.  See, there actually ARE some benefits to working Bingo!!!




14 comments:

  1. Interesting about the paint.
    Shivering doesn’t burn as many calories as it should! Lol.
    A quiet night a bingo must be an omen. Of course the new dog comment may be partially responsible for sensible behaviour but how long can it last. Although with Christmas coming maybe more folks are saving their money. Perhaps calm will reign until into the new year.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only hope peace reigns, but I'm not holding my breath!

      Delete
  2. Arny and Sandy's neighbor in Citrus Heights makes the best Tamales too, and she brings over about 20 or so. Of course, not on our diet BUT it did not hurt to taste them. (It takes 2 or 3 to taste to be sure they are good, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I think you are right about how many it takes to make sure they taste "good".

      Delete
  3. Tamoles for breakfast. They must be good . Terrible that you're allergic to the good stuff, but you have to be do your Bingo job. I hope EB learns fast so you can get out of that cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the best I've eaten!! Yup I'm looking forward to warmer weather for sure.

      Delete
  4. It's amazing to me what's locked up at different Walmarts. From liquor to batteries to ammo and the list goes on. Not all the same everywhere, guess it's based on what's stolen most in the area. Never been a big fan of tamales, but yours look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. Here they lock up the weirdest things ... like razors and socks. Yessirree they lock up socks here.

      Delete
  5. Tamales with a fried egg for breakfast....oh yum yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would like my tamale breakfast!! I'm going to see if I can get her recipe.

      Delete
  6. I can honestly say I've never had a tamale. Hit or otherwise.
    I thought it was maybe what you said about an oily residue regarding the paint.
    Nice to have a protégé on the infernal machine. 🤤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never had a tamale??? Oh you are missing out. If they last that long, I'll bring you one to try.

      Delete
  7. The Walmart I went into in Albuquerque had some of the men's underwear locked up...go figure. Nice to find good help for bingo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?? I'm laughing because here it's the socks too.

      Delete