Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Remember Pearl Harbor

Its Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day ... say a little prayer for all those lives lost while protecting our country.  I talked to my Elks friend Frank, who just turned 102 years old, about his time at Pearl Harbor.  Yessirree ... a real hero and survivor of Pearl Harbor.  

He wasn't supposed to be there, but his orders got mixed up and he did not get on the ship that left a few days earlier.  He doesn't like to talk about it, but we sat for a time as I asked him a few questions.  He said what he remembered most was the deafening noise.  He said he killed a lot of people, for which he had no regrets.  They were bad people.  Maybe we can say a little prayer for Frank too.


As you can see by this picture, it was another night at the Magic Kingdom.  


And it was a FULL MOON!  You know what that means .... the pitchforks came out.  The worst part is the full moon takes away your hearing.  You didn't know that?  Oh yes, believe me, the peasants cannot hear a single word you say.

The ATM machine was out of order, most likely out of cash.  We give cash back with MY machine because they will spend it on pull tabs, meaning we make more money for charity.  We don't charge for it either.  Here's the deal however ... we only accept cash or debit.  No credit cards allowed.  I mean really, they could object to those charges and we would not get paid.

AND there's NO TAPPING.  I probably said that 55 times last night and we only had 115 players.  Three people tapped even when I said not to.  Here's my spiel:

DO NOT TAP ... AND DO NOT PUT YOUR CARD IN THE MACHINE UNTIL I SAY GO.  Good grief ... over and over again, they had to take their card out so I could enter the info.  Is it a full moon or something?  It's a full moon ... I KNOW IT!!!

Of course the next person in line didn't hear one single word.  By the time 20 people went by, I was almost screaming because no one would listen.  That full moon ... it can be a bugger!!  As for tapping, we don't have an account for that, so we have to collect manually from the bank.  Oh the fun!!


Really, it didn't even matter that we said "don't put your card in yet" probably 110 times, because every time they came back for more cash ... they put their card in before they even said a word.  "Take your card out please", whereupon I would get a nasty look.  

What happens when you do that is we give out all our cash and then have to find extra money to pay the winning bingos.  We borrow from Peter to pay Paul.  All the cash they take out goes right in the next door to buy those pull tabs.  So I go right next door and borrow it back.  It was a record amount this time .... all due to the full moon.

I finally got out of there at 10:00 (11:00 my Arizona time) after going through another long session of teaching the ER how to work the infernal machine.  Really, it's not hard to handle until you get to the balancing part.  The full moon seems to affect my nemesis machine also.

So here's my tip of the day ... you know, just in case you need a little chuckle.  After last nights moon full antics, I could use a drink!!!


I'll be on the couch trying to recuperate ... NO TAPPING ... sorry ... that's in my brain forever now.  Tomorrow is another tuxedo night, so I need to recoup quickly.  

Remember Pearl Harbor



7 comments:

  1. What would you do if even half listened to you? Lol. They know this behaviour is expected and so they play their parts well.
    Bingo is certainly good fodder for your blog, gives us all a chuckle. Thanks for the endurance you show and the effort you put forth to keep the animals corralled and the masses smiling. We all appreciate it.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can contest a debit card charge through your bank

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always think about my Uncle Harold (one of mom's brothers) who was at Pearl Harbor that day. Glad he was able to go back for the 60th anniversary, with his family, just a month before he passed on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazingly, there are still a few survivors left. I can't imagine living through something like that when everyone around you is falling.

      Delete
  4. You are so lucky to know Frank and be able to ask him questions. I did not know any Frank's in my life, at least if I did he did not advertise it. We visited there in the 90's. Hard to believe what took place there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is an amazing guy ... mostly Apache Indian and quite the character!!

      Delete