Wednesday, January 12, 2022

To Cook Or Not To Cook

 That's always the question in my house.  Whether it's better to burn up fuel and eat magnificently or eat cold food, in which case I don't eat NEAR as much and may possibly ... just MAYBE ... lose a pound or two.

It's 43 degrees this morning, as predicted, and hopefully will warm all the way up to 65.  Truly, if it weren't for that, I would be in great shape.

Once the sun came up and through the back window, I moved Jonathan to the corner where he could soak up some rays.  He can't be feeling that bad since he completely destroyed the newspaper on the floor of his cage.


As the sun finally showed up, I took Cooper out for a walk to smell the smells.  A little later, Gibbs was outside with his latest conquest ... a new bone.  Cooper seems to be warming up to him a little and they played pushing games for a bit.  This kid here ... he's a kick in the pants!!


Once I got warmed up, I drove off to RV Lifestyles, just to be sure their shipment had not shown up out of the blue.  Nope ... no blue flame heaters.  They should be here on the 17th, so I have quite a few days to play with my rig furnace.  

Last night I ran the generator for about 90 minutes, watching TV for awhile, then turning it off.  I should have turned it off sooner.  I also set the thermostat up one degree to 66.  Apparently that was too much since this morning my 12.3 battery light is off.  Bad news for me, although I really have no idea just how accurate these things are.

In the meantime, I have an appointment on the 21st (a very long time away) to get solar installed.  Yup I'm jumping into the boondocking thing, especially with the latest development with my generator.  The knob that turns it on is coming completely loose.  What's up with that??  Vibration?  I don't know.  Maybe Bill can check it out for me today.


In the meantime, since I discovered it was quite a bit warmer upstairs in the bedroom, I deposited Jonathan at the end of my bed on a table provided by Patsy and Bill.  He seems to be doing a little better since it's warmer in there.  Once the sun comes up, I'll move him back to the window so he can wonder where all the birds are.


In the interest of seeing just how long things last, I'll check my propane tanks this morning.  It's been six days since I filled up with propane and I think I've used about half of one tank.  That doesn't really count since the first three days I was hooked up, meaning the fridge was on electric.  I'm writing all this down because I'm sure I won't remember for the next trip!!


In an effort to conserve everything, the cook or not cook decision was an easy one.  I ate a salad and barely heated up the rice.  What can I say, I'm a cheap date and an easy keeper.  


Dessert however was another story.  Those little pies in the back of the fridge have been calling my name. I let the generator roar while I heated it for 30 seconds.  The accompanying indigestion was epic, but boy did it taste good.  


I spent the rest of the evening reading a book Patsy so graciously loaned to me to keep me occupied.  It's a thriller from the very first sentence.  

I think today I'll check out the vendors, although there aren't very many yet.  I need a few things like a door mat and maybe a battery operated lamp.  Unlike the old days, I'm not after souvenirs any more.  Maybe a nice satin box for Jonathan when he croaks from the cold.  Just kidding ............... Just kidding!!


11 comments:

  1. Cooking with propane on the stove really does not uses up a lot of it. Just think how long a tank lasts when you barbecue. Benno noticed that you have your generator hooked up to the long shore power cable. You are supposed to plug your generator into the outlet at your rig (don't know where yours is located) You loose some power while using that long cable. While you get solar installed maybe have a good solar controller with a voltmeter installed at the same time to keep track of your voltage. The one you are using on the panel is not showing the real voltage, we have the same panel in our Grand Design. Your battery bank needs an update for sure. Benno would help you, but unfortunately this winter we are in Florida. When everything goes well, next winter we are planing a larger trip out west, Utah, Nevada, California and Arizona etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, there is no outlet on my rig to plug the generator in to. I'll check up on that. I agree, never think those panels are correct.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to boon docking! It's the way we like to camp best or State/National parks which usually don't have hook ups. Q is such a nice place to be this time of year. Hopefully we'll get that way shortly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's usually a nice place to be. With 40 degree nights and 60 degree days, it could be better! LOL. Hope to see you here!!

      Delete
  3. Tom likes those little pies and at fifty cents it makes an easy desert for him and I get a tiny sliver. You need to invest in some whip cream in a can that is what I put on my bite...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. We got to my sister's in mid-August, left in late November. Had a full tank of propane, and only cooked and heated the hot water tank. When I got propane again on way home it only took 4.5 gallons...so cooking and heating up the small hot water tank does not use much. I think you have one cigarette type outlet in the trailer? If so, you can pick up a Cigarette Lighter Voltage Meter like this one: (tinyurl.com/4pcr9xme) I don't leave mine plugged in, just check and unplug again. They might have them in the big tent area at Q.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clarify: Only had hot water heater going when we took showers, then turned off again

      Delete
    2. No cigarette lighter plug. Only USB and I've searched the entire place. I have a propane tank reader, but of course you can't depend on that either.

      Delete
  5. I also love those 50 cent deserts. Since I have a problem digesting sugar I eat a couple of bites each day. So one little pie lasts about 3 days. And Deb is right.....whip cream!!! Elva

    ReplyDelete