Thursday, January 6, 2022

A NEW HAT!!!

 Now you see it .....


 Now you don't.  One of the gadgets I picked up for the fifth wheel was a propane tank reader that sticks to the bottom.  I'm not really sure how accurate it is, but I can access it on my phone.  It said I needed fuel.  I tried to get it out, but those two strips in the back were glued to the tank.  

Yes Dan helped me remove it and stuck it in my truck.  While he went to Lowes for concrete mix, I went for propane.  When I got back, I was actually able to lift it out of my truck and into the rig.  I even got it connected.  Feeling pretty good about that trick.


Now I have two full propane tanks, about 14 gallons.  That should last me a few days.  In the meantime, I'm wearing a new hat.  A CONCRETE HAT has been added to the mix.  Maybe I should say half a concrete hat.  The wall needed to have rebar pounded in and concrete poured into the holes.

By the time I returned from a quick trip to find Jonathan birdseed (lucky I discovered I was out), Dan had pounded much of the rebar.  I grabbed the small sledge and went to work.  I thought my arm wouldn't be able to move today, but surprisingly, it's just fine.


 Dan mixed the concrete in his handy dandy concrete mixer ... I expected to be using a shovel in the wheelbarrow.  What a great way to do it!  Teamwork!!  He brought the way-too-heavy wheelbarrow to me and I used a bucket to dig out the concrete and pour it into the holes until full.  I used a trowel to smooth the top so the caps could be put on.  

Twenty two and a half bags later we ran out ... no kidding, that was a lot of quickrete ... we were short just a tad.


Here's some of my handiwork.  The shadows are deceiving ... those are full to the top.  Dan will lay the top caps probably today.


This morning I'm finishing up packing after checking off everything on my four lists of things to do.  I'm off to Yuma to visit Cindy and Ray for a few days, including a quilt show, fabric shop and of course Algodones.  Off on another adventure!!


10 comments:

  1. Sound like a fun trip for you! Great job on the retaining wall, looks awesome! Every time Ken does a project, he figures the bags he needs and I tell him to add a few more LOL. Nearest Lowe's is 50 miles away, so get it while we're there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa ... you have a ways to drive. We thought 16, so got 20 bags. Had to rob Dan's garage for the rest.

      Delete
  2. Nice retaining wall, that is going to help alot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan does great work. Not only beautiful, but will keep the water at bay.

      Delete
  3. How lucky you are to have Dan and Patsy so close, and being long, long time friends. Hoping you have a safe and fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave ... yessiree friends for over 30 years. I am blessed for sure.

      Delete
  4. That wall is looking great and i know you are happy to be able to assist when and how you can.
    Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM Patsy ... plus I learn a lot about how to do stuff. I like that part.

      Delete
  5. You are fast becoming a jackie of all trades. Working with concrete is a hard job and I bet Dan is grateful for the help. Have fun here in Yuma. The weather is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Doug ... it's really nice here. 65 degrees is right up my alley!!

      Delete