Saturday, September 9, 2017

A Big Trail For Little People

Good Morning Florence!!!  It didn't take me long at all to move spaces yesterday after dumping my tanks.  Unfortunately, moving just 50 feet has almost put me out of range of the WiFi.  It works sporadically as it is ... the further away from the clubhouse, the worse it gets.  Thank goodness my satellite television dish works or I'd be in REAL trouble!!  

Here's a place I bet you haven't visited in Oregon.  It's called the Hobbit Trail, a beautiful hike through some very interesting foliage going down to Hobbit Beach.  You probably want to be parked in the little lot North of Florence by 10:00 in the morning, otherwise you won't find a spot.

This happens to mark another geocache I did NOT find.  I suppose using your phone for a GPS unit isn't the best idea.  The coordinates had me going up, back and all around.  I finally gave up and stayed on this nice, fairly flat, wide expanse of a trail.  It's very well marked ... you can't miss it.  Do be careful crossing the highway to get to the beginning of the trail on the ocean side.
In no time, the moss covered trees began tilting to the right and left.  As you walk along, there is trail after trail, most about three feet high and covered with branches, that take off into the woods.  Honestly, I was thinking bear country.  There's no way a human could walk those trails unless he was three feet tall.  What an interesting and spooky place!!
I finally gave up totally on the GPS and just walked along enjoying the scenery.  That's when the trail took a dive downhill.  You had to know that was going to happen!!  I was on a cliff, heading to the beach.

That's when I ran into THIS!  Hmmmm ... I really wasn't sure I wanted to go down the rabbit hole.  There might be scary rabbits or bears down there.  I finally decided I would be okay since I didn't have my big camera weighing me down if I needed to run.
Down the hole, around the corner and through the tunnel of trees I went.  Be sure to duck.   This is pretty cool!! 
And there it was.  An Altar to the Gods of Sea Trash.  Although mostly crab shells, the kite was a colorful addition.
A few more steps in the deep sand and I was on the beach.  A huge, beautiful beach with no one around.  That's surprising ... there were at least eight cars in the parking lot.  I looked both directions for signs of humans.  Nothing!!  It was getting eerier by the moment as I wandered along the shore with the birds and dozens of dead crab shells.  How could there not be anyone here??
It's absolutely beautiful, but time for me to head back and feed the puppies.  I ducked back into the hole, placed a lovely razor clam shell on the pile for good luck (I really didn't want to anger the Sea Trash Gods) and headed back through the tunnel and up the hill.  It's not quite half a mile back to the car and only half of that is uphill.  You can make it!!  It was worth every stiff muscle!!

Back at the rig, I noticed upon entry that the DOG smell was getting to be too much.  Since I had empty tanks now, I threw Cooper in the shower.  It's NOT his favorite activity.  Getting the ball IS, which of course I had to do for the next two hours in payment for the bath.  Guess where the ball went!!
I really thought this would be me again this morning, but luckily the WiFi is working ... at least at 5:00 am when I sat down.  It's been bopping in and out .. hopefully it will hold until I get this posted.
The Trailer Trash Bash Jazz Festival is in full swing here ... if only I could upload those sounds I recorded.  I'll try to get some pictures today!!  I might even go back to the Hobbit Trail and see where everyone goes when they hit the beach.





3 comments: