Sunday, January 22, 2017

The BIG Wall

Meet Missy.  This is one of the beauties that lives next door at the Chance residence.  I got my kitty fix yesterday morning.  She's just so SOFT, possibly because she's a full figured girl, the perfect model for kitty food.  At the present time Patty says she's on nutri-system for kitties, but I don't think it's working.  She's been known to steal Snoopy's dinner a time or two.
With nothing on the agenda, Dan decided we should go for a ride along his old motorcycle trail.  With my shower still not working, I sprayed on lots of perfume.  This was NOT the day for motorcycles however.  Wind and shifting sands pummeled the cars along this unfamiliar route.  
Come to find out, it's a new highway, Hwy 195 south to San Luis, which lies right on the Mexico border.  Highway 95 was the old route, which we finally intersected with.  After miles of sand and scrub brush, we came to huge green fields of lettuce, cauliflower and broccoli, along with a lone outhouse.
I thought this area was all desert.  Who knew there were miles and miles of beautiful green fields looking like Central California?  We drove right up to the border before turning around and heading back North to Yuma.  Many of the fields were being worked by busloads of people harvesting cauliflower.   Dan says for eons this area was the flood plain for the Colorado River, resulting in the best soil in the country.
That's when we discovered the wall.  I've never been anywhere in Mexico except Los Algodones, so I had no idea what "the wall" looked like.  It appeared to stretch on for miles.  
Patty said lets go look.  Dan took the next left down a dirt road and here's where we ended up.  I must say it was pretty impressive, with a huge double gate at this canal crossing.  It makes you think, I can tell you that!!
As we drove along the highway back towards Yuma, the wall just ended in the middle of a field.  Wait ..... it doesn't continue to Los Algodones and further West?  Nope .... you can just walk to the end and go around the corner ... voila!  U. S. soil.  That was rather weird.

This morning after my tub shower (stand in a small washtub and pour water from a pitcher down my back), we'll pack up and head to Quartzsite.  I heard the big tent opened yesterday, so we'll probably show our faces for a little while.  I want to hit the Redlands repair shop to make sure my appointment for an air dryer replacement won't take all day and so I can figure out how to get in and out in one piece ... unscathed.  If you've ever been there, you KNOW what the parking lot looks like!!

Head 'em up, move 'em out!!





2 comments:

  1. You're braver than me--that parking area is a mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true Jan ... hoping it's not too terrible. I'm past due on the air dryer or I just might cancel.

      Delete