Monday, August 8, 2016

On A Quest For Bird Food!

Although I brought two big packages of parrot food with me, it goes rather quickly.  You may not have ever had this problem, but it's hard to find the exact kind of food Jonathan will eat.  Just like some kids, he's picky!!  Since it was Sunday Astoria Market day, I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone.  Well not kill them you know, Jonathan wouldn't like that too much!
It's a good thing I brought a cowboy hat or two, because as soon as I drove out the driveway, it began to pour!  When they say there's a 50% chance of rain, they mean it up here.  It's a built in car wash for free!

These box banjos, or guitars, fascinate me.  If I knew how to play, I'd definitely get one, in spite of the $325 price tag.  They are just SO unique!!
The Hilltop Bakery was here in the upper parking lot.  You have GOT to taste these cupcakes and cookies.  She had the best brownies EVER said this lady, and I loved the peanut butter cookie dipped in thick, rich chocolate.  At least I only had one ... this nice lady had TWO!!!
The flowers are just as spectacular every single week.  I don't know where they come from, but there's not a bad one in the bunch!  They are also exceptionally good at making HUGE $20 bouquets.
There weren't as many people in the morning, I'm sure due to the rain.  Those of us who were there, kept sneaking under everyone's easy-ups to keep dry.  This jewelry is gorgeous ... all made with old pieces of necklaces and brooches cut up and put back together in imaginative ways.  
By the time I got ready to leave, this street was packed with people since the rain had let up.  The baby goat was here again, wearing her finest jacket (it's cold you know).  There were a few new vendors with drinking vinegars and homemade gin too.  Yes they give out samples!!!
At the end of the street was this gentleman playing the steel drum.  Being familiar with them from Benson Arizona, I looked inside to see how it was made.  "There's nothing in there" he said as he tapped out beautiful classical music.  Classical??  Yup ..... not a single Caribbean note.

I was looking for the seams where it was pounded out allowing for the different tones ... how come there are none?  It was seamless and a little rusty.  He said it was a very old one ... they don't make them like this any more ... and you just have to know where each note is ... kind of like the back of a turtle shell.  He bowed as I dropped a couple dollars in his bucket.  
I snagged a bag of caramel corn right off the cooker ... this stuff is the BEST!!!  I tried to be good, after all, I already ate a cookie, but the smell gets me every time.
The dahlias were spectacular, as always.  These huge plants were for sale ... $18.00 each ... and every one had at least six blooms.  Don't you just LOVE the color??
I almost forgot I went to get vegetables to counteract all those donuts.  I found these heirloom tomatoes, a bag of lettuce and several pieces of fresh sweet corn.  
When I finally left the market, I was wet and a little chilly, but I still needed bird food.  I hit up Fred Harvey's (okay, Fred Meyer ... it's 5 am after all)  for fuel and groceries .... you know, things like Lean Cuisine, Haagen Dazs and a big piece of salmon to barbecue if the sun ever comes out again!!  

There was only wild bird food available, so I headed off to Petco.   Lucky for Jonathan, they actually had the same brand of seed I buy at home.  Birds can be very picky and won't eat ANYTHING new.  Like little kids, they would rather starve!! 

The rain continued all day, but it didn't matter.  All the noisy kids and inconsiderate parents left yesterday morning.  There's peace and quiet again on the Oregon Coast.  






6 comments:

  1. Do you think these RV parks which say, "No Washing your rig..." would get upset if during one of these hard rains one would go out with a brush and RV washing soap with a bucket and scrub down your RV? Boy, ours could sure use it again...but I am waiting for a few more days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in the states? No. In Canada ... watch out! We got yelled at just for washing our windshield so we could see!

      Delete
  2. If you ever get to pikes market place downtown Seattle that's another must see if you get in the area I think half of it is devoted for food and the other half is devoted for flowers
    The next time you go to Fred Meyer's /Safeway or fresh market
    Go to the deli section they usually have three different kinds of soup out there that you can get a small medium or large ( you Ladel it out yourself )to go and look for new England clam chowder
    It's way better than that North West stand your spoon up in it /Talcum powder taste clam chowder
    The next time you go by a real fish market and not in a grocery store I mean a real honest-to-goodness fishmarket
    Ask them if they have butter clams they're about the size of a marshmallow so get yourself about a pound
    Take a medium pot put in about a cup and a half of water a couple pinches of salt Bring it to a high simmer so that it's steaming,,, throw the clams in and put a glass top on top of it
    Let the water boil up but not over the side you may need to lift the cover up to keep the water for boiling over but don't worry about it you're still good you will see the clams pop open what all the clams pop open dump the water out and sit down and have yourself a feast make sure you put a lot of butter that you could dunk The clams in
    Now if you don't want to do that get about a half a pound of clams find a really good recipe online and make your own clam chowder Half a pound would be suitable for two And if you can't find a recipe let me know I'll send you one
    As for Jonathan I sincerely hope you brought him some cherry tomatoes grapes Apples and hard peaches and raw nuts an some in the shell macadamia nuts to go with that ( used to give my friends macaw Brazilian nuts )
    You,l have him singing up a storm dancing all over that perch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never tried butter clams that I know of. I'll ask in town. Jonathan gets apples and carrots every day with a good sampling of raw nuts. The Brazilians are too hard for this hand fed parrot's beak, even though he could take your finger off!!

      Delete
  3. Here's the recipe anyways even if you don't make it somebody else might try

    Steamed Clams in White Wine, Garlic, and Butter Recipe
    Serves 2-4 people as an appetizer. This recipe calls for 2 pounds of clams BUT just one person use 1 pound of clams would be more than sufficient

    If you're only going to serve one person cut the ingredients in this recipe by 25%.
    Ingredients:
    3 tablespoons butter
    3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    2 pounds of clams (Littlenecks or butter clams ) rinsed and cleaned
    3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
    *optional 1 small lemon cut into wedges

    Directions:
    Melt butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until garlic is fragrant but not burned. Add wine and increase heat to medium-high until wine is brought to a simmering boil. Add clams and cooked covered for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until clams have opened. Discard any clams still closed. Add parsley and give the pot a quick stir. Transfer clams and broth to a large serving bowl, serving with lemon wedges on the side.

    If you want to save on cleanup just pick Tham out of the cooking pot
    But don't forget 1/4. stick of butter to dip the clams in

    And don't forget the wine glass for the rest of the bottle


    ReplyDelete