Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Now HERE'S A Sight To See!!

I never get tired of the sunsets here.  The walk to the beach, maybe .... but the sunsets always make it worth the effort.  The trail through the sand dunes at this end is deep sand, but I like to take the road less traveled.  I suppose it's the black sheep in me.  I found another trail with lots of grass, and therefore much harder footing from the roots, making the trip much more enjoyable.  My tip for the day ... if you can, always walk in the grass on the side of the trail.
We've had negative tides for the last week or so, giving you a good look at why the waves start so far out in the ocean.  The water hitting the shallow sand bar is what causes the waves.  Walk out far enough and you will fall off a cliff into the depths of the ocean, that is if you don't get washed away with the rip tides first.
You would think that means there's lots of cool things on the beach to collect ... like shells, sea glass and such.  You would be mistaken, like I was.  About the coolest thing you can find here are bird feathers and maybe a piece of sea grass (that's grass not GLASS like I hoped there would be).
There are lots of images to be found, since the water exiting the beach leaves beautiful patterns in the sand.
You don't want to stand in one spot too long however.  There is so much water still in the sand that within seconds, I was sinking rapidly and the sand sucked my flip flop right off my foot!!
There weren't too many seagulls in this area, probably because it's not where the crab live.  The other end of the 26 mile beach is littered with crab parts.  This end is pristine, so I'm not sure what this guy was looking for.  
There is also not near the people at this end.  In fact, there was only two other people on the entire beach that I could see.  You can drive the length if you stay close to the water's edge where the sand is packed, but with my luck, I'd be stuck at the unoccupied end when the tide came in.  I'd rather walk.
Spectacular, right?  I should have brought my chair, not that it lasts for long.  It took about nine minutes for the sun to set in these pictures, during which time I was racing back and forth along the beach looking for the best shot!!
I think this is my favorite.  A little beach, a little water, a little sun, a little fog and some clouds thrown in for good measure.
I never get tired of taking images of this beach.  Sitting around all day waiting for it is not my cup of tea however.  Yesterday I took off on another adventure that kind of backfired, which I'll relate to you tomorrow.
You would expect no less from me, right?   A little misadventure?  So let's see what kind of trouble I can get into today!!!





11 comments:

  1. on texas gulf coast the grass is where the rattle snakes live servale people get bit each summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously Wayne?? YIKES! I will never walk in the grass along the Gulf Coast!

      Delete
  2. beautiful shots,you should frame them for gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning photos, Nancy. You have so much talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nick! Coming from a great newspaper photographer, I'm very flattered!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos. I like the second to the last best

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Carol ... you've probably seen many of these beautiful sunsets. I can never get enough of them.

      Delete
    2. It's also interesting to note that every time I send out an email from here, it sends it twice ... people get two of them ... same for your comments. I wonder why that is??

      Delete