Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Love In The Bushes!!

As much as I would love to report that was ME in the bushes last week, alas it was NOT.  This is a picture of Ledbetter Point in Willapa Bay.  It's that long thin line of trees in the middle left.  You can take a shortcut if you don't mind getting your feet wet, or hike around about 2 miles.
Not only were the coyotes out that day, so were the cranes and birds that feed in the mud as the tide recedes.  I'm sorry to say there were no eagles, although I did hear one screeching way off in the distance.
As I hiked through the neighborhood, I found the kite you lost last week.  This side of the bay is very protected from the winds, so I imagine it came from the kite festival ... or maybe not.  I do like to pick up trash along the beach and always bring a plastic bag, but this was too high to reach.
Flowers, or weeds as the case may be, were all in bloom.  Every once in a while you run into some beautiful pink ones amidst the greenery.
On my way back through the trees, I kept hearing rustling in the bushes.  Just as I looked up, there was this baby scampering around the tree about two feet from my head.  What a bold little guy!!  He jumped down, moved around in the shrubs, then back up the tree, so I grabbed my camera and waited.
By now the bushes were shaking all along the forest floor, so I figured there was more than one.  Low and behold, these two jumped up on the tree stump not three feet from me.  What cutie patooties!!
It didn't take long to figure out what was going on.  One was obviously chasing the other, whispering sweet nothings in her ear and giving her kisses!!  
"I love you baby, really I do" .... but before I could even snap another picture, they were off on the run again, this time up a big tree out of camera range.  No, NOTHING happened!!  She was just playing him along!!
On my way back home, this beautiful convertible Woodie was parked at the Oysterville Store.  It seems one of the big houses in town is owned by an Architect with a passion for old cars and big buildings, the biggest of which is just down the street and looks like a dump.  Inside however, it has white columns and an amazing polished dance floor.  I'll try to get some images for you!!
Close to home, I spotted a full to overflowing parking lot at the Corral Diner.  This is the place for Nick Russell and Dan Chance, who both love a good burger.  Here's a bacon, mushroom, swiss burger (at the recommendation of the waitress) that was just amazing!!  It was so good, I ate the whole thing!!  Not the onion rings though ... I saved those for breakfast!  You can take it with you or eat on their umbrella covered patio.  This is a must stop in Long Beach.
Here's a new recipe for you ... Crockpot Broccoli Beef.  In fact, it's going on my potluck list!  Thinly slice two pounds of beef and put in your crockpot.  Then add:
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tbl sesame oil
4 cloves crushed garlic
1/4 c brown sugar
Cook on LOW for 4 hours
Stir together 1/4 c cornstarch with 1/4 c water and mix in with
one head of broccoli, chopped into small pieces.
Cook on LOW for 30 minutes more
I served it with white rice and it was pretty tasty.  It's a good thing I like it, because I have enough for four days!!  

I've no idea what's on the schedule today ... I'm going to surprise myself!!!







2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. I'll have to try that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty good ... I might have added a tad more sugar and less cornstarch mixture.

      Delete