Saturday, September 26, 2026

STILL WAITING ON THE HURRICANE

 If you're going to be stuck somewhere for hurricane season, Maui is the place to go.  Is this not a gorgeous sunset?

Actually it is a MOONSET.  This is the full moon setting over the ocean.

It's about 5:00 in the morning and WELL worth getting up early for.  This is the first time I have EVER caught a moonset like this.  


Shortly following that was the sunrise.  As you can tell, I'm parked on the patio watching all of this while sipping my cup-o-joe.  As the hurricane heads this way, so do the clouds.  It didn't really rain, but it spit on us a couple of times this morning.  We are patiently waiting on the swirling dervish, though it seems to be moving VERY slowly.  I expected lots of wind and rain last night, but it did not happen.


Left and right or even overhead and behind you, the sky was spectacular.


This was the last of it as I headed on over to the ABC store for some breakfast,  I was totally distracted with the purchase of another T-shirt ... that only makes two ... because they are so much lighter weight and cooler than the shirts I brought.  I ditched the Levi shorts and capris for my running shorts.  It's just too hot.


In no time, Cyndae's daughter Becca and her two friends showed up.  We took them snorkeling in Kapalua bay.  The water was not as nice as the day before, once again the results of the hurricane heading our way.  The winds were pretty strong and the currents even worse.  

We went WAY out this time, to find sea cucumbers, more parrot fish, lots of anemones and one lone turtle trying hard to stay in one spot so he could eat.  He flipped over twice before heading out to deeper water.


We were earlier this time and got the perfect spot to hang out under this tree.  Within a couple of hours, the rollers were hitting strong and the tide came in with a bang.  We had to be quick on our feet to keep from getting washed away.


That's when one of the girls ran into this baby just hanging out waiting for dinner to arrive.  I've no idea what kind it is, nor do I want to know.  She almost got it stuck in her face before coming to a screaming halt.  You'll be happy to know we left it to it's web.  No spiders lost their life on this day.


After a couple more runs, we were all snorkeled out.  Plans for barbecued chicken were made and we headed back home.  THIS joined us for dinner.


If you want to see fabulous sunsets ... no color enhancement at all ... come to Maui in September.


They keep saying the hurricane will turn west, but we are not seeing that yet.  Worst case they say we are looking at 25-30 mph winds with 50 mph gusts.  It's a wait and see game.

ALOHA from the sunny warm ocean shores!!




12 comments:

  1. Hurricanes can lure you to sleep...and they can turn on a dime sometimes. When these storms head up the Gulf towards the panhandle we always worry about a right turn which would quickly bring right into our front door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what is happening to Acapulco right now. Scary!!

      Delete
  2. OMG...what gorgeous pictures Nancy!
    Have fun and please stay safe!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has to be the best trip I've ever had for sunsets.

      Delete
  3. Dear Nancy, your photos are absolutely stunning! Please stay safe, dear friend.
    Spiders are very good for the environment as each insect and animal plays a part in their role.
    Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sky is gorgeous, but fleeting. Spiders are definitely good, they eat the biting flies!!!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos Nancy...amazing colors in the sky !
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. God made it exceptionally beautiful this time.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the great sunset pictures and WOW never saw a moonset either! That was beautiful. Is there a place called Maui Pizza that is still there? Read their website way back when for their gluten free pizza made in a brick, wood-fired pizza oven. The pineapple/bbq chicken one sounded so good. Have more fun!!! Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of Maui Pizza but not tried it. Next time for sure!!

      Delete
  6. Barb ... I will have to check on Maui Pizza. There are LOTS of pizza places here and all serve the pineapple one, I'm just not sure abut gluten free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked after my comment and sure enough there's quite a few. I don't think I got the name right, missing a word. The favorite listed was Spam & Pineapple but they probably all have that.

      Delete