Saturday, September 19, 2026

A PARTY GIRL I AM NOT!!

 Someone stayed out WAY too long last night.  She came through the doggie door about 3:00 am and crashed on the chair.  That's where she stayed for most of the day.  Guarding the back forty is hard work!!


There seem to be three outside kitties visiting.  This one has the nerve to park right in front of HER door.  No worries, I'm safe because Kitters parks right on this side of the window keeping watch the entire time.


I truly had nothing to do on this day.  Oh I could have sewed, or cleaned the house or SOMETHING, but instead I chose to lay out on the patio and read for a time.  This was the view of the sun before it got too warm.  


I really wasn't in the mood to do anything because I had a birthday party to attend.  I watched the Pendleton Rodeo most of the afternoon.  Pendleton is such a unique rodeo because of the huge field and the way they present the roping competitions.  The cattle come down a very long rather steep ramp, making it so much more difficult.  You need binoculars to see clear across the field.


More of that later on.  I whipped up a huge meatloaf for the fridge, freezing smaller pieces for lunches and dinners.  One day of cooking makes meals for the entire week.  


And then I was off to the lodge.  It was birthday party time for one of our Veterans who is also in charge of the Honor Guard, providing burial services for every Veteran family in the County who requests them.  

Just to show you how eclectic our little group is, THIS is a purse ... yes, a purse ... recently found on Amazon by one of our most loyal members.  I just know you are all going to go out and buy one.  It's very sturdy plastic and big enough to carry anything you ladies might need.  It has a long shoulder strap and the top zips open.  If nothing else, Elks are unique!!!


I am always truly in awe of the amazing work our kitchen crew does.  We have dinner at the lodge EVERY Friday night.  You make reservations and order off the menu.  This is a rib eye steak smothered in mushrooms, mashed potatoes and gravy, with roasted vegetables.  There is a huge salad bar and two kinds of homemade soup to choose from too.  The clam chowder is so good they have to serve it every night.  


They get from 90 to 125 folks every single Friday.  Yes, the food is that good and cheaper than any restaurant.  This is my leftover shrimp scampi after I already ate four.  I brought the scampi, the baked potato and the veggies home.  


Not that we needed cake, but one of our members made this cake for the birthday boy Nick.  It looked like a fishing pond with a guy fishing in a boat, two big bass, lots of sinkers and bobbers, tullies and even cattails.  It was the perfect cake for this fisherman!!


The entire kitchen crew came out to help sing happy birthday along with half of the folks still having dinner.  His wife on the right is another very good friend of mine.  I think we were made from the same mold.  


Then she brought out the ice cream.  Oh my great aunt Susie ... the cake slices were 6" wide and an inch thick.  As you know, I cannot say NO to cake.  I was so full by the time we finished the night that I was absolutely miserable.  A party girl I am NOT!!  

I stayed way too late and was so full, I didn't sleep a wink all night long.  And oh yeah, she's on a strict diet, so you KNOW who had to bring the cake home!!!  It's in the freezer and will STAY there for at least a week.  Why you ask?  Because I will be leaving tomorrow morning for Maui once again.  I'm not too hot on flying with the erratic weather they have been having, so I'm praying a lot for good weather. 

I may not post for a day or two, but I will be back once I'm safe on the ground in Kihei!!


7 comments:

  1. Delicious looking food!
    Safe travels my friend.
    Frances;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cats. Lovely smiles. Tasty food. I am not a party girl, either. Love ❤️ your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun in Maui and wish I lived closer for one of those Friday
    night dinners at the lodge. Kitters will be on patrol while you are
    on vacation.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, oh, you bought a house in Hawaii and are going back to close on it??

    ReplyDelete
  5. That "purse" looks more like we call a "handbag" our purse goes in our handbag, also it isn't something I would use

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good news, I think the weather will be fine for the trip there...Bad news, it is going to start getting ugly by Friday.... Have a good and safe trip

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right that food looks awesome. And the cake will be there for when you return. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete