LIZARD COUNTER: 16
You know how when you go through something like locking yourself out of the truck ... and you think WHEW ... I'm glad that's over. Now I can get back to normal. Well that doesn't always happen. It can always get worse. Add my luck to that and I was in trouble before I even knew it!!
I started the day out at the Elks Lodge, signing checks, reviewing expenditures and stopping a couple incorrect payments. Then I was off to Turlock to deliver the fabric to the embroidery gal. No problems there that I knew of.
When I got home, I ate the last of the chicken parm and figured I had enough motivation to finish quilting this quilt. It was touch and go, but VOILA ... it's done.
Though I wanted to make more plum jam, they were too frozen. I stuck them in the fridge and made more cheesecake instead. I never noticed the signs, probably because I was too busy licking the bowl.
By now it was about 1:00. I loaded this quilt on the machine, but got a pin stick from those long pins with the large white heads. That's when I found three ants ON MY QUILT. What the heck? Where are they coming from and what on earth are they doing on my machine? I looked underneath to find them crawling all over the batting. This is just crazy. But it GOT WORSE.
My right hand ring finger felt funny. I looked down to see it turning black and blue and swelling up. What the heck is THAT?
It began throbbing with little shooting pains. Well this has never happened before ... and suddenly I began to worry big time. I grabbed my keys and headed off to the local Urgent Care. I'm pretty sure I was the only English speaking person in the huge waiting room. Boy was it crowded. This is going to be an all night affair.
The longer I sat there, the worse my finger got. I waited about 70 minutes for them to call my name. Dr. Don came in with a big smile and said HI ... what's up? I showed him my finger. No idea where this came from Doc ... it could have been a pin stick yesterday and I didn't notice it, or it could have been just three hours ago. Please tell me my finger isn't going to fall off.
Yup it's infected he stated. I'm sending a prescription for antibiotics in to your pharmacy. Take them immediately and twice a day for ten days. He said my finger would stay intact, but get the meds TONIGHT. I told him he got a ten star rating for taking care of all those people in the waiting room. We laughed and I got a high five as I headed out the door.
So off I went to the pharmacy where they already had the prescription. I told them THE DOC SAID GET THESE NOW SO YOUR FINGER DOESN'T FALL OFF. She laughed and said she would get it done immediately. How cool is that? No 30 minute wait.
I walked down one aisle and around the corner. There should be a law that candy cannot be in the center aisle. The gal laughed when I plunked them down on the counter to pay for my pills. I'm pretty sure these will do more for my finger!!
And so I drove home, whereupon I called Nurse Patty to make double dog SURE my finger wasn't going to fall off. She said TAKE THE MEDICINE TO THE LAST PILL and keep it elevated. Okay, but can I finish this quilt that was now on the machine? With only two rows to go, I didn't want to go through the hassle of restarting the machine and getting the pattern in the right place. I held my right hand up in the air the entire time.
The sunset was rather nice ... making me forget all about my finger for two minutes. I took the first horse pill before hitting the bed. No kidding ... these things are made for GIANTS!
Seems my luck has gone south since losing my Cooper Boy ......... Here's hoping the pills work quickly so I can quit worrying about blood poisoning ... or having my finger fall off!!!! (It will be fine, I'm just being dramatic!!)

Ouch ouch to your finger. Hope you had a good rest and the redness and swelling is down a bit.
ReplyDeleteStange I am having the same issue, swollen finger for 4 days, looks like a bug bite.....got worse also, so off to urgent care.
ReplyDeleteSame Rx as you for 10 days.....LARGE pill. Weird.
The quilt looks great and hope your finger gets better ASAP.
ReplyDeleteSue
Wow your finger is really swollen.
ReplyDeleteGlad you are taking antibiotics.
Take it easy kiddo!
Frances:)