Tuesday, June 22, 2021

The OW-EEEES!!

 It seems there are always OW-EEES in my life.  OW!!  I cut my finger, or OW!!  I stubbed my toe for the hundredth time on that table leg.  Although I have previously remained unscathed in my kitchen activities at the Elks Lodge, THIS time was different.  OWWWWWW!!  A nice blistery burn that ripped off the top layer of skin when it melted into the bottom of that big sheet pan.  

In the heat of the moment, I didn't notice it much, but I did quickly grab a piece of ice and cool it off.  It's talking to me today however, along with the second slash just above this one.  Neosporen is my friend.


Thank you everyone so much for the solar tips and info.  I would just like to say that the small group of single people that are very conservative with their power ... that would be me ... are penalized right and left.  We pay more taxes per person while still paying the same house payment, the same electric bill, the same car payment, the same property tax bill and almost the same food bill as married people ... ALL ON ONE SALARY.  

So when we are conservative with our electricity because we can't afford that $600 a month to keep the lights on, we are therefore penalized by not being allowed the solar panels we need to keep our grass green (electricity runs the well for water) and the house at a reasonable temperature.

In other words, I can get solar, but only a few panels, therefore not getting any big tax credit.  I can buy MORE panels, but get nothing in return.  It's very frustrating.  The only solution is to run my bill up to $400 a month for the next YEAR, then get panels in order to be allowed the credit.  Doesn't sound right to me but so far that's what I've been told.  That's a pretty big OW-EEEE!!


The same seems to be true in Arizona, since I already tried that route on that property.  I think I was allowed 4 panels there when I really needed 10.  As I look around the neighborhood, I count approximately 25 panels on a house.  Mine will have to be on an A-frame like this in the back yard, otherwise that's all you will see when you drive up .... solar panels.

I haven't heard back from the guy yet, but I'm sure it will be the same result.  If I want solar, I will have to chuck out $30,000 which I might be able to recoup in 13-15 years, if I live that long, just in time to replace them and run up another bill.


And so the ow-eees continue on the days of our lives.  Anyone remember that one?  

It looks like we are in for some cool weather ... in the 90's for this week, then back up to over 105 every day for a week.  Gee ... it's almost time to head to Arizona where it's 118.  Why in the world would I go to Arizona when it's that hot?  Because my electric bill is MUCH cheaper even when I run the AC day and night!!

By the way, California has instituted their flex hour thing ... asking people not to use electricity all afternoon when it's the hottest and overpower the grid.  In the same breath, they are telling everyone to buy electric cars, but now you can't charge up the battery because you can't use electricity.  Anyone see the irony in that??

They have even shut power off in some locations.  OW-EEEEEEE!!


Oh to have the life of Cooper and not have to think about all this OW-EEE stuff!!!

For you Bingo people ... tonight is our first meeting, which is basically just to see who is going to show up and volunteer.  Bingo will commence at the Magic Kingdom on June 29!!  At least it's cooler in the Elks building than it is my house!!!


16 comments:

  1. You said you had You’re own water well head why not hook that up to a standalone solar system The cost of that system shouldn’t be that expensive and you should be able to Recoup that cost fairly fast …bu If they keep cutting your drip irrigation You’re not paying the electrical bill ..But If California Nevada and Arizona run out of water it’s not gonna make much difference anyways you’re all be S-O-L
    On your Az other house if you have a swamp cooler to supplement your air conditioning . You could do the same thing there or get a swamp cooler which will lower your cost. Having solar panels on your house is a pro and con if you sell your house the new owner has to agree to pick up the contract but they may not want to Which leaves you limited on and eventual sale
    .But isn’t that’s the price you pay for having a trophy house 🏠🏦 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I go solar, I won't do a contract. I'll pay up front and tack on the price to the house. I don't think they will run completely out of water. This is just part of that cyclical low water for a few years, then flooding for a couple of years.

      Delete
  2. My, I feel guilty with my $100 summer bill. NOT! I don't think California is going to get any better in the future. Might be time to bite the bullet while home sales are at their best. My Oweee was a splinter up my fingernail the other day. Hate it when that happens.🥲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. California has the highest energy bill of any state I think. I won't go into the why's.

      Delete
  3. The highest bill we have had in our Florida condo is $125...and our next bill will probably be close to that. 1,000 sq ft, but in summer you have run the A/C all day and night just to feel comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every state has lower prices than California. As you know, there are lots of reasons for that, mostly mismanagement.

      Delete
  4. That's an ugly burn. Sorry. PGE summer flex time....highest rates are 4pm to 9pm. Just the time that the 8-5 workers get home and do laundry, watch TV, use the computers. Yay...
    Bingo is starting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I do all my laundry at 4 AM. LOL
      Yay for the Magic Kingdom.

      Delete
  5. This would be the perfect time to sell, especially since you don't have to buy another house. Every person I hear selling, sells in a matter of days if not hours. CA is only going to get worse I'm afraid. Burns are the worst!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much true. (Sigh). California is broken for sure.

      Delete
  6. Ken You’re absolutely right there in most cases
    I have two realtor friends that do business locally when they Spec a house out for sales
    They present the numbers to the potential owners and tell them to add 35 to 40% most don’t last Two weeks. Also not to put it on multiple listings and save that fee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been some bidding wars here and there, for sure.

      Delete
  7. More people wanting to be comfortable with AC, hooked up to all the communications, have light bulbs, etc = greater demand and higher prices. I am grateful I have AC. And so far, I can afford it. Water is a whole nuther thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huge demand from cities and counties allowing way too many subdivisions to be built, causing other areas to become ghost towns. Bigger houses mean more electricity. It doesn't help that they mismanaged everything for so long. PGE even declared bankruptcy at one point. Now they are requiring solar on every new house, so everyone is using electricity they made, which gives PGE even less money. It's a catch 22.

      Delete
  8. Nancy,you have my sympathy; burns are always a pain.CA property is selling quickly & perhaps now is time.The funds could add additional insulation,improved windows in AZ- anything designed to reduce ac/ heat requirements.Solar does not have to be tied to the grid;done in steps if desired to handle lighter loads like lighting & separated from your all one panel- 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm you've given me something to think about, not being tied to the grid. I thought that was mandatory. Thank you!

      Delete