Friday, August 7, 2020

The New Blogger

So here goes ... the new blogger format.  For anyone having trouble like I was with blank screens and it not allowing me to type at ALL, I finally downloaded Firefox after much searching about how it might affect my computer.  Apparently Google does not like Apple or their programming would work on these machines ... or maybe they have a vested interest in Firefox, who knows.  Amazingly, when I opened the blog dashboard, this new screen appeared, complete with an edit bar. 
I finally figured out how to size images (click on the image and a box will appear ... hit the - or the +), however it will not center them on the page no matter how many times I hit the center button.  Other things like "center text" are buried deep, so you have to click more than once to find what you are looking for.  There are more options, none of which I would ever have use for.

Honestly, I don't know why they change things this much.  I'm sure they lose people right and left, especially Apple users.  One other thing that bothers me is no longer having the ability to go directly to the comments.  If you want to read them, you have to open THAT particular blog and scroll clear to the bottom.  It seems to me the other version was much easier to navigate, unless you are a computer programmer and want to write in HTML. 

The good news is I can continue to write without having to find a new platform.  I mean really, I have dozens of critter pictures to post!!!  I'll give you a break on that one though since I have RV news regarding the Beep Beep. 

I cut the wires to the old one and proceeded to install the new alarm unit.  First off, those crazy pliers you use for wiring are difficult to use at best.  One slip and you cut the wire.  Don't ask me how I know.  It didn't help that the wires used were a different gauge than the rig wiring.  Reason #45 I need a man around the house!
After much frustration since I really didn't FIT in that tiny space on the floor, I got the two wires connected.  I lifted the unit and placed it in the hole.  Oh good grief ... this unit is not as big as the old one.  Did they sell me the wrong one?  Yes they did. 

To make it worse, there were no SCREWS with the new unit so I had to scrounge in the drawers to find something workable.  I seriously don't even want to tell you what I paid for this at Lazydays.  I may have mentioned it yesterday .... $130.  I'm shaking my head.  I'm not sure if I can take it back, which will require cutting the wires again, making them even shorter.  At long last the beep beep has been strangled but it's not pretty.

In other GREAT news, Dan and his son Mark stopped by to skype with the local Building Department and get a final on my RV cover.  They turned the phone around to show the braces, but honestly, the guy was more interested in the Phaeton than the building.  No matter, it's a DONE DEAL!! 

Well, almost anyway.  The local Homeowners Association has not responded in spite of several emails.  Not that they really hold any weight, but it's always good to cross the T's and dot the I's.  Mostly they approve the "desert" colors.  It's white and beige.  I could have gone with neon green or glaring red, which I'm sure would have brought about a quick response.
I do have a request for my readers.  It seems many people are not blogging any more, some due to disinterest, maybe they passed (how sad) or maybe Covid just isn't interesting to write about any more.  On the other hand, I'm sure there are many out there I would love to read ... I just don't know what they are.  

If you have two or three you really like, could you tell me in the comments?  I'd love to have more reading in the morning with my coffee.  Especially when it's nice and cool out on the patio.  

By the way, I actually got some "critters" on the critter cam yesterday morning.  The animal kind, not the human kind.  I can't wait to show you the pictures.  That camera is turning out to be a great distraction.





18 comments:

  1. I love the RV cover, it turned out perfect. You can be proud of yourself for getting the monitor in all by yourself! I'll have to think on the blog request. It seems the ones we read we see you comment on also. I know I've got to try new blogger, just wish we had a choice to stay with the old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have any questions about blogger, I'll be happy to try and help. The only reason I tried to carry on was because they said August 28 the old would go away for good.

      Delete
  2. Here are some of the RV blogs I read. " Our Awesome Travels " " Our Newell Adventures " " It's About Time ' AND " Travel With the Bayfield Bunch " . They all have links on the side bars to more blogs. This is how I found you ( I bet you didn't even realize you were lost ) Covid humor . Good Luck . Vern in Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found me Vern ... I've been lost most of my life! LOL I'll check out those blogs. THANKS!!

      Delete
  3. Glad Firefox worked out for you. Hope they get the 'bugs' worked out. Here are a few tips for you...(assuming Firefox on Apple works the same as Firefox on Windows)

    1) If you click on image you can use the + or -, but you should ALSO be able to grab a corner of picture (after you click on it) and move corner to enlarge or make smaller.

    2) I found that to center a picture, you first get the cursor centered, insert picture, then click on picture and select center again.

    3) "IF" you want picture to left (or right) you can type text to the side of the picture...but it takes a bit of trial and error to get text to line up with picture correctly (depends on how much text you type) and a number of 'enter' key strokes to start a new paragraph again. I still can't figure out how to have pictures side by side without doing HTML coding (which I have not really done for 10+ years now)

    I think you and I follow many of the same blogs because I see your comments. I am not sure you follow this one, OUR NEWELL ADVENTURE, (http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com). It is Clarke (blogger) and wife Elaine and he posts daily. Also, The Chouters (https://thechouters.com) Steven and Linda (blogger). They are currently RVing Europe. Steven is a EXCELLENT photographer...very interesting. They try and blog weekly.

    Lastly, if you show that picture of the gap to a person at home depot that works the paint department, I think they can suggest something that could help make that look better if it really bugs you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tips Dave. Thanks so much!! I'll check out the blogs also!!

      Delete
  4. Hi here is a great blog www.bobseyes.net He is very interesting and you may learn some mechanical tips. Very cool camera photos Deer, Coyote, Private Security, ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I will definitely check out the blogs. Yah ... my own private security! LOL

      Delete
  5. Here's a few I read that are still posting:
    https://cheerfulmonk.com
    http://www.theboondork.com/mainphp
    http://nickhereandnow.blogspot.com
    https://ofmadventures.blogspot.com
    https://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not a blog, but I'm crazy about one website I recently discovered. Now, you might not get the kick out of it that I do because you still get to travel a little in your MH, but I've been stuck within a 50-mile radius for months going absolutely bonkers & the diversion it offers has truly been a godsend.

    It's a very simple concept: people all over the world submit a few minutes of HD video aimed out their window & that's it. Viewers just click on "open a window somewhere in the world", (preferably on a big monitor to simulate a window in your house), take a few sips of coffee, catch up on tasks & whatnot, exhale & click again to keep going for as long as you need to soothe the craving for new scenery.

    I've been thinking *you* really need to submit one of your technicolor sunsets from your window. (Just don't keep it open unattended with all those critters & fugitives from the law running around out there.)

    https://window-swap.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fascinating Leilani. I can't wait to check it out. I certainly don't mind the law, but the fugitives are a problem! LOL

      Delete
  7. I couldn't make the new blogger work. It would have destroyed what we had created and it would have been a pain to relearn its operation.
    If the Municipality approved the RV Cover the HOA should have nothing to say.
    Some daily bloggers are just taking breaks. I know you constantly check us out but try
    Travels With the Bayfield Bunch http://thebayfieldbunch.com/
    Where Are The Dixons http://wherearethedixonstoday.blogspot.com/
    Old Fat Man Adventures https://ofmadventures.blogspot.com/
    It's about time http://ricknkathyrousseau.blogspot.com/
    Be Safe and Enjoy the wildlife.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do follow the Bayfield Bunch. I'll check out the others ... thanks Rick. Whether the new blogger works or not seems to depend on what browser you use. Chrome and Firefox seems to work.

      Delete
  8. Travels With the Bayfield Bunch
    On My Own (She has just started a new blog. Her husband passed away in 2019. The old blog: In the Direction of Our Dreams...good for back reading)
    The Chouters
    The Rouge Less Travelled
    Our Newell Adventure
    Hope you enjoy some of these! Liz Boise, ID

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz!! I appreciate the names. I will check out every one!!!

      Delete
  9. Hey Nancy. Here are some that are not already mentioned.
    Oddball Observations https://oddballobservations.blogspot.com/ (From the Prescott Valley--Friday Funnies are my favorite)
    Rogue Columnist https://www.roguecolumnist.com/ (Author Jon Talton who grew up in Phoenix--excellent history of the area with old pictures)
    Phoenix Daily Photo https://phxdp.blogspot.com/ and
    More Golden Years http://travelinginrvandlivinginlasvegas.blogspot.com/ (From Vegas in the summer and Mexico in the winter)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Had problems mixing Apples with Googles so migrated all of our blog posts and photos (since 2007] to WordPress. They are all about the same, but so far this has worked. Would really like you following our blog at: https://DunnGone.WordPress.com

    ReplyDelete