Friday, August 14, 2020

In Case You Were Wondering .....

You would think that during these times of lockdown and craziness that normal things would not continue to happen.  Take for instance the Jehovah's Witness group who go door to door to take care of your soul.  Let it be known that I am a religious person, but taking your religion to the door of a stranger is not a good thing in my book.  Just think how dangerous that could be.

First off, I don't open the door for anyone, particularly if I don't know you.  It's been a nice respite not having to yell through the door (and over the incessant barking of the dogs warning me of a stranger) and say thank you, but no thanks!

In case you were wondering, they have not gone away.  Lookie what I got in the MAIL!!  Now they are HAND WRITING letters and MAILING their brochures.  What a lot of work that I'm sure will end up in everyone's trash.  It's almost sad that this lady went to so much trouble.  It was harder to throw this away than it was to say NO at the door!!

Here's something I had NO trouble throwing away.  If you are the least bit squeamish, don't look at the second image.  On Sunday August 9, I bought a nice bag of lettuce, not to expire until August 20.  I had been enjoying a nice bowl of salad for dinner almost every night.

That was until I dumped THIS out of the bag and into my bowl.  I admit, I threw up in my mouth.  You can't tell, but I had eaten well over half the bag. 

NOOOOOOOO ... I couldn't believe it.  I've NEVER had this happen.  I quickly wrapped it up so I wouldn't have to look and called the phone number on the back of the bag.  Funny, Fresh Express NEVER called me back, even though their recorder said they would respond in 24 hours.

I took the bag and the evidence back to Safeway where I bought it.  They said EWWWWW and offered to give me another bag.  Thanks but no thanks.  Lettuce is now off my menu for at LEAST the next couple of months.

Here's another quick tip.  Safeway and Fry's (Kroger) have apps you can download to your phone or computer.  Using that app, you can check what's on sale and add it to your "list".  It will even make up a grocery list for you.  When you purchase those items, you get the "special" sale price.  I've actually received four dozen eggs (not all at once) FREE, not to mention a huge bottle of laundry detergent 50% off.

For many things you buy, you get points, which get you even MORE free stuff.  Yesterday I saved $19.33.  Check it out!!

In case you were wondering about my Arizona ID card and my truck registration, I received BOTH in the mail much faster than I expected.  Arizona has it together.  This would have taken three months in California.  This is the one that cost me $90 to register versus the $407 in California.  NICE!!

To make the day even better, we finally got a bit of rain last night.  Storms come in here like gangbusters.  The wind comes up and you think the trees will blow away, then lightning and thunder like nothing else.  I tried to get a few pictures, but it was just too wet, besides not being a good idea to stand out on the lawn with a metal tripod.  

The thunder was epic .... rolling over the hills and echoing for a really long time.  There's nothing like the smoky smell of wet desert, not to mention the temperature lowered from 100 down to 74 in a flash.   I sure hope this is the start of a lovely monsoon season, even if it is really late this year.

Who am I kidding .... there is no rain on the horizon for over a week at least!  There is however, a host of coyotes singing in the gully this morning.  I set my game camera to video and caught a couple of visitors.  Today I'll figure out how to add that for tomorrow's blog.


 

 

10 comments:

  1. My friend who is license to carry in Canada and the US used to invite the Witnesses into his home while he would be cleaning things after a day at the range. Word got out and they no longer visit his home.
    We normally by a prepackaged salad like that only to have it go bad a week before the BB date.
    Looks like things are finally coming together for your move to Arizona.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, that's a funny story!! First time that's ever happened to me with the salad.

      Delete
  2. Not even 10 am and it is 94 degrees here in Sacto area. Tomorrow I think it will be cooler in Tucson than in Merced area! YUCK!!!

    On July 7th I ordered a Senior Pass for National Parks to replace the one Marcia had (at $10). Unless I tried to go to Yosemite or Lassen, there are NO National Forest Ranger stations open, BLM office, or other places to get it in person. It STILL has not come, but a phone call said they were working on July 1st orders (and that was two weeks ago). So we are stuck here in the heat instead of at a campground up in Truckee during this heatwave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup Truckee would be MUCH better!! It was 106 here yesterday with wind about 20 mph. I'm MELTING!

      Delete
  3. Jerry renewed the registrations on both the motorhome and his pickup online a couple of weeks ago. We received the tags yesterday. And that includes the time for the mail to go to our Wellton address and then forwarded here. I was happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that salad is disgusting. Hopefully they will call back and do you right somehow. Nice about the tags and plate. Love when it rains like that! We get a lot of the same rain here in the NV desert. Love the smell too! Yep that's alot of work to get thrown away, they are dedicated for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the desert smell after rain .. the heat, not so much.

      Delete
  5. Hi Nancy, al least you are IN az not ca and you have critters at you water hole you are lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO right! I do love watching the critters here so much better than skunks in California.

      Delete