Sunday, March 4, 2018

Quilts and Jager What??

Three of us piled into the car yesterday and drove quite a ways south to a quilt show in Sierra Vista.  You might wonder why people would drive so far just to look at quilts.  Quilters are a strange lot.  They will drive clear across the country if it means finding fabric ... plus you can occasionally find real deals at the vendors who attend the shows.

We hit the vendors first, since we could see the quilts any time.  It's like Black Friday.  Ladies are grabbing bags of material, hugging them tightly and rushing to the checkout stand.  I'll show you my purchases tomorrow.

First off, no one ever said every quilt was beautiful.  This isn't really my favorite, but the use of fabric is pretty cool.  Every single heart is made up of four pieces of different fabric.  It's really much prettier in person and the sewing is impeccable.
Then you have something like this with a million tiny pieces.  It's beautiful but no thank you.  If it's so tiny I have to squint to see it, I'll never finish sewing.  It will become the forever uncompleted pile in the closet.
Now THIS one ... as you can see by the purple grand prize ribbon .... is AMAZING!!  With the exception of the black, there is only one piece of fabric used here, cut into hundreds of pieces.  Each and every circular piece is actually four to six pieces of the exact same cut of flower, then sewed together ... kind of like looking at material next to a mirror.  It's hard to explain ... and even harder to sew.  THIS is a fabulous work of art.
This one I picked for two reasons.  One, I love kitties.  Two, do you have any idea how hard it is to cut and sew stripes without getting them crooked?  Not to mention, I love the black and white.
Not only are the fabrics and designs on display, but the quilting is what makes the final product.  If you click on this picture to enlarge it you can see just how much stitching went into this.  I bet there are five spools of thread in this one.  

Speaking of cost, which I wasn't, but fabric nowadays runs $10-12 a yard, plus batting (the stuff in the middle) plus backing (which on a queen size can be 5-8 yards), amounting to around $150 for your standard twin size.  That doesn't include the hours and hours spent sewing the thing.  So if someone gives you a quilt, cherish it ... in actuality, it probably cost around $500.
If you have any of those doilies left over from your grandmother's stash, here's an idea for a quilt.  Stitch them all on a beautiful background and hang them on the wall.  You can do the same with your husbands old T-shirts he doesn't want to get rid of.
There were many many quilts, but THIS one was my favorite.  Isn't this just crazy?  The amount of work in this is incredible since it's a king sized piece of magnificence.  I'm not sure it would make for a restful night's sleep, but it is beautiful none the less.
By the time we were done with the show, it was lunchtime.  Pat mentioned a German Restaurant, but couldn't remember where it was, so I yelped the German Cafe.  It's a very tiny place without a lot of wait staff.  We stood in line for about 15 minutes before they came to say they were changing waiters and it would be just a minute.

Patty Chance has all the patience in the world.  I probably would have left after they seated NINE people behind us BEFORE finding our table.  As she took menus to the nine, I was getting more antsy.   

Finally, Pat led us to one of the three empty tables where the waitress finally arrived to tell us there were nine dinners ahead of us in line at the kitchen.  Are you kidding me??  We waited in line for 15 minutes before those nine even showed up!!!

Bite your tongue Nancy .... Patty patience, you need to have Patty patience.  Lucky for us, the nine couldn't decide on what to order, so we did get in first.  THIS is JagerSchnitzel.  I'm part German and have never heard of it before.  I thought schnitzel was pounded thin.  This was a huge piece of thick pork, deep fried and covered in brown mushroom gravy.

Top right ... what else but German potato salad.  Top left, German slaw.  My very first taste of German food and it was DELICIOUS!!  I ate the whole thing!!  Even though there was dill in everything (and dill is NOT my favorite), it all tasted wonderful.  Who knew?
I'll be back to sewing today and spending some time on the patio with the puppies.  Unfortunately I can't leave them outside alone.  My little two foot tall fence won't keep the coyotes out of the yard should they decide on an afternoon snack.  While I'm there, I might as well trim the rose bushes.  Yup I have FIVE rose bushes ... in Arizona .... in the desert.






10 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a fund day doing the quilt tour.
    The quilts are amazing and every year we usually go to The Mennonite Relief sale in New Hamburg Ontario. watching the quilt auction, usually over 200 auctioned off as a fund raiser . Two years ago one actually sold for $42,000.00 ! It is amazing to watch these sales.
    And in our home area is a german heritage and a lot of very good German restaurants, so many wonderful food dishes. Always enjoy the great meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW ... that must have been a fabulous quilt to sell for that much!! It was nice to try new food. All we have in my little area of California is fast food joints!!

      Delete
  2. You had a fun day at the Quilt show. Such beautiful work with very patient and talented people. I like the doily idea but I'd be afraid to wash it. I know nothing about quilting by the way so maybe that comment makes no sense.
    Thanks for the tour! I'm glad it is a nice day to be outside with your puppies and roses. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny .. I had the same idea bout the doilies. I remember having to dunk them in liquid blue starch and pin them down to keep their shape. Maybe it just remains a wall hanging forever.

      Delete
  3. We had a fun morning at the Arizona Market. The fabric store had lots of bolts of fabric for $5.00 a yard. I got out of there for only $340. Can you ever get too much fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Ray ... and I thought "I" had too much fabric. I LOVE that store! You can't beat the prices. And no, you can NEVER have too much fabric!!!

      Delete
  4. I have done a lot of sewing over the years and I even took a class to learn basic quilting techniques but to actually put together a quilt, I do not have the patience or talent.
    The ones you shared are beautiful. They must have been something to see in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb. It's not really hard to do, but I have to admit sometimes too tedious, in which case it ends up in the big black hole in my closet!!

      Delete
  5. Roses do really well in Arizona. They do need a little water. The ones in our RV park bloom often and profusely. Those quilts are amazing. I don't have the patience for the itty-bitty pieces. When I had a sewing room, I did one water color quilt and that was ENOUGH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to see roses in my garden. They need a little tender loving care I'm afraid. Everything is on a drip system so they get plenty of water, they just need some fertilizer and sweet words.

      Delete