Saturday, March 17, 2018

GET YOUR GREEN ON!!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!  I hope you get your green on so you don't get pinched today.  Where in the world did all that come from?  It has a lot to do with politics and leprechauns.

The history of wearing green is connected to a series of revolutions that took place in Ireland in opposition to the English Crown.  We understand that, right?  Interestingly enough, BEFORE the revolution, light blue was the color of Ireland and St. Patrick.

Chicago would have to spend less money dying it's river BLUE instead of GREEN if that was still the case.  To make it even more confusing, if you were Catholic, you wore green.  If you were protestant, you wore orange.  It seems they couldn't decide on the color of revolution, but in general, green meant independence.
Going back even further, the REAL reason you wear green is because it makes you invisible to leprechauns.  You weren't aware of that??  If you do NOT wear green, they will be able to see you and thereafter, PINCH you just as a reminder they are there.  In my younger days, I didn't mind getting pinched at ALL!!
When I was working for a living, our County offices had a St. Patrick's Day luncheon.  No green beer, but they did have green punch.  I thought how funny it would be to have a huge bowl of green potato salad.  I worked all night and made my best version, throwing in a few drops of green food coloring into the mayonnaise dressing.  It was gorgeous if I do say so myself.  I thought THIS is going to be fun!  

Not so much fun after all.  Even though I KNEW it was regular potato salad, my brain couldn't get past the green color.  It kept expecting a different flavor.  I wasn't the only one either.  It seems no one could get past the vibrant green color so no one ate it.  I was stuck with green salad for about seven days that I had to eat with my eyes closed.  I'm pretty sure the last of it was buried in the cemetery.
So wear green of some kind or other so you are invisible and have a little green beer along with some corned beef and cabbage.  Let's help the Irish celebrate their independence!!




15 comments:

  1. Thank you Nancy for all that St. Patrick's Day trivia! I never knew. I have ever since I chose my own clothing, worn green on this day. Without even knowing I could be pinched! So, I will continue and although I don't have much green, I'll find something to honour their independence. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As usual, there's a lot more history to it ... I just never knew about the pinching!!

      Delete
  2. Guess I am going to get pinched I don't have any green. But thanks for all this very important information.
    When we were growing up we used have green mashed potatoes for St. Patricks day and red ones for Christmas, It has been I while since I have done that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And did you EAT those green potatoes? I also am short in the green department. Come to think of it, I didn't wear green at all!

      Delete
    2. Yes we did eat the green potatoes cause they seem special, lol...

      Delete
  3. Funny how one's mind affects our food. In the restaurant I had smelled Cod gone bad so many times, I told Marcia that I will NEVER eat cod because I can't get the smell out of my head when I smell 'good' cod cooking. Not much of a fish person anyway, like Salmon, Trout, fried Catfish and a few others. NO WAY on Cod or Halibut (Halibut was another of those fish we served in the steakhouse). Now WHY I can stand lobster, clams, scallops and shrimp is beyond me because I have smelled them go bad before too...it is just in my head....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yuck .. I don't think there is anything worse than fish gone bad and I can definitely smell it now!!! Thanks Dave!! LOL

      Delete
  4. We never coloured anything Green for St Patrick's Day but Did that for Easter one year. Our son had Green Eggs and Ham, our oldest daughter had Pink and our youngest Purple. They all loved but my late wife promised to Bop me if I coloured her food.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh ... I'm not sure I could eat green eggs ... or pink ...

      Delete
  5. ๐Ÿคข๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒด๐ŸŒฑ๐ŸŒต๐ŸŒฟ☘️๐Ÿ€๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ‹๐Ÿƒ๐ŸŒพ๐ŸŒŽ๐ŸŒ๐ŸŒ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿฅ๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿฅ’๐ŸŒฝ๐Ÿฅ—๐Ÿต๐ŸŽพ⛳️๐Ÿš›๐Ÿšž๐Ÿ›ฃ๐Ÿ•๐Ÿ›ค๐Ÿก๐Ÿ“Ÿ๐Ÿ”‹๐Ÿ”ซ๐Ÿ”–๐Ÿ“—๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿˆฏ️๐Ÿ’น❇️✳️❎ ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ป๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ฏ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ป๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฝ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ป๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ด๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ผ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡พ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฏ๐Ÿ‡ด๐Ÿ‡ฏ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ผ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡พ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฏ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ถ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฝ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ด๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡พ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฏ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿณ️‍๐ŸŒˆ
    For the luck of the Irish,, I give you All the green things I got on my computer๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too funny! That should bring me lots of luck!!

      Delete
  6. The orange was because the protestants favored rule by William of Orange. To this day Catholics and Protestants are at war with one another in Ireland. I suspect protestant Irish-Americans don't wear green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew they wore orange, but not the whys of it. I know they have been at war since forever and decided not to go there. I hope I didn't offend anyone!!

      Delete
  7. Interesting St. Patrick's Day information about the wearing of the green. Thanks for sharing. I always wear something green to honor the day. When I was in high school it was really easy our uniforms were green...LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I had a green scarf that was worn to death. Don't know why but it was the only green in my closet!

      Delete