Sunday, August 7, 2011

Extreme Biking the Rim

Haven't got a clue what's happening to the font size here.  The draft looks good.  They must be having some problems .....


After lots of hiking and photography on Saturday, I snuck into the Fountain Shop and had a huge cup of ice cream.  Patty is watching her diet and I didn't want to sabotage her efforts ....  On Sunday, she and I hiked to Mather Point.  By now, I'm not sure which images are which.  Guess I need to take better notes of where I've been!!!  At any rate, later in the day Dan drove me to Grandview to check out photography sites on the East end of the rim.  I will be returning here later for evening pics.

That night, Dan cooked dinner for me since it was his day off.  BBQ steak, rice and yummy corn.  With that and the ice cream under my belt, I was quick to take up Dan's offer for a bike ride to Hermits Rest the next day.  I stole this picture from his blog site ... don't tell!!!!



100_2745.jpg

We started out at his R.V. in Trailer Village ... well I'm liking this REALLY well!  It's almost all downhill ... what could be better?  Well let me tell you .. we rode to the beginning of the red route bus line, Dan loaded the bikes on the front and we "rode" the bus to Powell Point, where we disembarked for photo opps.  Extreme biking at it's best!!!  
From there, we rode on a path right next to the rim most of the way to Hermits Rest.  This is a good view of the canyon within a canyon, showing the Colorado River.  Dan spied 6 river raft boats coming down the river which I hoped to photograph.  Unfortunately they must have stopped for a break, because after 30 minutes and no sight of them, we continued on.
Pima Point was another great view ... although the smoke from the fire is still visible.
From Mohave Point we headed up to Hermits Rest where I easily talked Dan into ..... ice cream!!!  Hey, that bike ride had a few uphill parts that were breathtaking!!!  It's now late in the day and our dog family members would be waiting for dinner, so we jumped back on the bus for a short ride to Mohave Point, where we "ran the downhill" portion back to the start line.  Another great day!!!  Next on the schedule is a trip to Cameron Indian Trading Post with Patty!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment