Good morning from Maui!! There were no centipedes to be seen on this day, but I did kill one of my earplugs that fell to the floor. Better safe than sorry.
The weather is a warm 85 degrees with clouds, including those that drop the wet stuff. This is Haleakala, the volcano that made this island, most always covered in clouds. We are about halfway up from the valley at about 2500 feet. Don't let that fool you ... it's still HOT up here, even with the breeze.
We are staying on Cyndae's property in a studio apartment. On the same property are two rental houses that like all houses, require maintenance. That's half the reason for this trip.
Looking the other way off the deck are the other side of the mountains and Yao Valley. Rarely do you see these because of the clouds. I've hiked both ... and you need to be in pretty good shape to do so.
My favorite part however, is to meet Baba every morning for an ear scratch. I called her over this morning and she actually came. She did a lot of smelling, but let me scratch her head and ears. Her eyes closed immediately. Apparently I was hitting the right spot. What a sweetheart she is.
The second reason for this trip was to look at houses for sale, so no ocean water on this day. I was not disappointed since I wasn't into getting rolled by the waves anyway. This is one of the trees we spotted on the way. Plumeria ... a sweet smelling gorgeous tree covered in flowers.
I think every plant on the island has flowers of one kind or another, and they are gorgeous. Most of the trees are in bloom too!
Wouldn't you know, the very nice realtor took us to the absolute BEST place first. It made all the others look bad, even if the price was lower. This is owned by a couple from Oregon who are retiring to travel, and apparently it's NOT to Hawaii.
No kidding folks, if you come here, just do a few open houses and you will be amazed. This one is an immaculate 4 bedroom 3.5 bath with all the furniture included. It's designer furnished and fabulous for a measly $2,100,000. It has a GREAT pool in back, dog runs, a huge patio ... it's number one on the list.
This was the second house where I snuck this picture of the pool. I want one just like this in my back yard!! This house ... it had a garage with GLASS doors. Who does that? On the other hand, the rest of it was old and needed repair. It was priced at $1,775,000 and didn't hold a candle to the other one.
I know these sounds high priced, but everything on the island is HIGH. Even the cheapest one bedroom condo runs $900,000. No wonder three generations of family live in the same house.
This house was NOT for sale, but I loved the umbrella shaped tree.
With beautiful flowers on it.
Next was a trip to Kihei for shave ice. There is only one place here that is any good, and this is it. The line was long, but worth it. The price you ask? $22.00 for two.
Here you go ... macadamia nut ice cream smothered in shave ice and syrup. Mine was orange and red raspberry and Cyndae's lilikoi and mango. YUM YUM!! Someone in my town should get the machine and sell this stuff in the summer. They would make a fortune.
That was it ... we stopped in at the Kihei Marketplace and picked up a couple of things, but nothing exciting. We did run across this rainbow on the way home though ... which of course Cyndae said was a SIGN we needed to buy that house!!! I'll let you know down the road. I have to admit, it was the widest rainbow I've ever seen and touched ground on each side.
We came home to check on the contractor doing some repairs, ending a nice day out and about. She says today we will be back at the beach, but I will most likely just be sitting on it. The ocean is not cooperating.
And so ended a lovely day in paradise. It's now time for me to go scratch Baba!!!!


Keep those beautiful pictures coming!
ReplyDeleteFrances:)
Dave's uncle had a pool in Florida that was not very big. The water moved so you swam against it as if you were doing laps but without ever moving forward.
ReplyDeleteLinda Sand
Well, IF you move to Hawaii, not saying that this is your plan...but maybe it should be...at least no poisonous snakes or animals on land...in the ocean, yes, but not on land coming into your home...
ReplyDeletePlease give Baba a scratch from me and what a cute deer.
ReplyDeleteThe flowers are beautiful in Maui.
Sue