You probably don't know this, but I am NOT a fan of flying. I never have been. When I was maybe 25-something and living at the ranch, which just happens to be located next to the airport, I was outside looking over the fence when I heard a bad noise. When you live next to an airport, you know the sounds of airplanes.
I looked up to see a plane crash in the field and burst into flames. I jumped in my car and raced to the site. Being the first one there, I found a man and a woman lying in the grass, badly burned. I could hear the sirens, so I knew the medics were on their way. The girl gave me her contact info and I called her father, the Sheriff of Fresno County at the time. Sadly, the pilot died the next morning and she passed away a week later. I love going places, but flying is very scary for me.
Here we are, waiting to get onboard. We flew standby this time, but had no problems getting a seat ... both times an exit row with plenty of room.
We were late taking off because people had so much baggage, it took them longer to get it stashed. That meant other planes were landing while we waited to fly out. I just kept taking lots of deep breaths!!
I happen to be a Southwest member, so I get WiFi when on the plane. Oh look ... luckily we are leaving at the right time. I don't think I have EVER seen a hurricane notice here. It's going the exact same direction we are ... but thank goodness two days later!!!
Then there was THIS one! I guess we left at the exact right time!!!
Anyway, here we are taking off over the water.
Our pilot was a comedian the entire way, which made the ride more fun and entertaining. He caught up on the time a bit and we flew over San Francisco Bay in 4.5 hours. That's tiny Alcatraz and the Golden Gate bridge down there, but the smoggy fog was thick.
Now holding my breath, we are over Sacramento farmland getting ready to land. Thank goodness this landing strip is longer than the one in Kahului, so we all didn't have to brake for the pilot.
Since we landed at 7 pm, I spent the night at Cyndae's house on the couch. Lucky for me once again, the drive home was NOT filled with traffic jams. Cyndae said I should stop in at McDonalds for breakfast, so I did. A sausage egg McMuffin .... except it magically turned into a BAGEL egg McMuffin without my approval. It was TERRIBLE! Hard, tasteless and NOT what I ordered. The frappe ... a little bit better ... all for the low price of $15.89. I will not be stopping there again!
First things first ... I called Kitters. Wasn't I surprised when she came from the house to the back door and stopped dead in her tracks. I don't think she remembered me. I talked to her, gave her a little pet and VOILA!!! She remembered.
Is that really you? She was sniffing up a storm.
In no time she was patting me on the hand for pets. Boy has her coloring changed. In one week, she is much lighter in color.
She followed me everywhere the entire day. I was not out of her sight even once.
She finally settled on the back of the chair, but every time I get up .... there she was. I think she missed me.
And so I landed safely back home. Thank the good Lord for that!! I was also very happy to find that my new coffee cups survived being in my checked bag UNBROKEN.
I'm glad you made it home safe and sound.
ReplyDeleteI understand your not liking the idea of flying after witnessing such a horrible accident.
Love your new mug.l.
Kitters missed you very much.
Frances:)
Welcome home!
ReplyDeleteYou should have taken the Bagel back, saying you don't order things that you HATE.
Kitters has now taken on the role of being your protector. You will really have to plan ahead, any time you travel in the future.
Stay Safe and Enjoy!
It's about time.
We are so glad you made it home safely too. I'm not a flyer either but it's the airports I don't like dealing with. I'm always a nervous wreck with how much my luggage weighs, where do I go etc. etc. not the actual flying.
ReplyDeleteKitters does look lighter in those pictures! she surely missed her Mama!
Glad you had a good time...happy for Kitters who is no longer alone.
ReplyDeleteLove this post! That damn Cat! So glad you got out of the house. Dee
ReplyDelete