Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back

 You know the old saying, two steps forward, one step back.  On this day it was two steps back.  I'm used to that actually, since on the ranch there was always something causing a backward step.  It's hard enough to keep yourself going, but when you have to deal with 350 head of cows and calves, there's going to be problems on the horizon.

It started out just fine when I pulled the critter cam.  There was absolutely nothing on it.  I suppose that's a good thing, but I sure wish the fox would return.  Here's the video from a week ago that just about gave me a heart attack.  Remember this face??

I instantly made a dash out to the corral to check the fence line.  Hmmm no holes.  So what's up with the camera capture?  I watched it in slow motion ... literally frame by frame.  Awwwwwww it's not the skunk after all.  For one fraction of a second, I could see the ear of a fox.  Otherwise I would have SWORN this was a skunk!!


That calm lasted all of fifteen minutes.  This turned out to be two steps BACK.  Cooper would jump like someone stuck him with a pin, then do this until I picked him up.  I tried everything and nothing worked.  I even got a piece of tranquilizer pill down his throat, but of course that made him panic.  Poor guy ... I feel so bad for him.  


We tried the cone of shame, but that doesn't keep him from spinning on the floor.  I finally grabbed his leash and we went for a walk down the driveway.  That seemed to get his mind off the itch.  He finally calmed down enough to go to sleep on the couch.  That means I can't move or we have another episode of itch and bite.


It was a long day.  Suddenly I could smell it.  No, not skunk ...... barbecue steak wafting in on the breeze.  The neighbors are having a barbecue ... Halo's family.  Oh for the taste of potato salad and maybe some corn on the cob. 

I really did need to get to the store, so with Cooper perfectly decked out in his new neck wear, I took off for a quick run to return some Amazon stuff and grab a few groceries.  I hit the pavement running, before coming to a screeching halt.  The UPS store door was locked.  Oh good grief ... it's a Holiday, silly girl.  No one is going to be open but the grocery stores.

I hotfooted it over to Food Mart.  This is NOT my favorite store, but they have the best (and cheapest) English muffins.  I literally ran through the store trying to get back to Cooper as fast as possible.  I didn't get much of anything that was on my list, but grabbed some tomatoes and onions.

Frozen taquitos with a little salsa would have to suffice for my holiday meal.  What a letdown!!  I can STILL smell those steaks in my back yard!!  It's okay though, because Cooper was fine when I returned and didn't go into frantic mode.

I even had time to make a few squares for the latest quilt while he laid on the floor next to me.  Hard to see the colors, it's all light browns and grays.


Not the most exciting holiday I've ever had, but I was happy that Mr. Cooper slept a good portion of the afternoon.  He even got me down on the floor to play a little ball game later in the day.  He must be feeling better if he's wanting to play.


So today we gear up for a wonderful, fabulous night of Bingo.  I've got my fingers crossed that Cooper will sleep the night away.  I'll go in late and try to leave early ... and maybe I'll give him a tiny piece of sleepy pill. 

I know, it's crazy to worry about a dog so much ... but after all, he's the only other person in the house and I don't want him to chew a hole in his leg!!  By the way,  Jonathan says HI ... disco disco!!!




10 comments:

  1. Poor Cooper I know how you feel it's hard to watch animals be miserable.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is ... and I can't seem to convince the vet of that.

      Delete
  2. Nancy, go to Amazon and type in "IDOMIK Dog Recovery Suit" We got one for Indy after her Spay job. They have some that will definitely cover Cooper's problem, and won't be as cumbersome as that "Cone of Crap" thing the vets give out. Order today and you should get what you need by tomorrow. What's another $25 when it comes to poor little Cooper's happiness???? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you've got me in the mood for a juicy ribeye and sweet corn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding ... you could get one tomorrow night at the Elks Lodge if you were here!! A full steak dinner twice a month for $20 each.

      Delete
  4. Poor Cooper and poor you. Hopefully Bingo will be easy tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just wondering if Cooper is not having some allergy reactions...they come and go and benadryl not only helps with sleep but also with itching. Just a though Maybe the vet already did that. Glad he got some sleep today, and hope he gets some when you are ready for some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I'm thinking, but I can't seem to convince the Vet. I'm getting some Benadryl today and trying it.

      Delete