Wednesday, October 12, 2022

BACK TO BINGO!!

 WHERE'S MY COFFEE?????

This is my early morning view from the patio.  It's dark and cool and calming.  Not enough to let me go back to sleep of course, but something I enjoy doing while kicking the ball for Cooper.  As I'm sipping my coffee, I noticed a "different" taste.  I double checked the can-au-cafe.  

Who would ever think to check the date stamp on your coffee?  You might want to take a look see.  You know how it goes, it's "Best" by Mar 2023.  "Sort of Best" by Mar 2022.  "Okay" by Mar 2021.  "UH OH" by Mar 2020.  THIS can said "WHY IN THE GOOD LORD'S NAME ARE YOU DRINKING THIS REALLY OLD CRAP"!!!!!  Mar 2018.  YIKES!  No wonder it tastes so bad.  

I had a really hard time letting it go from my fingertips, but the can only had maybe four cups of coffee left in it, as it dropped into the trash.  If it tasted better, I might have toughed it out.


First things first ... replace the AC filters.  That's means a really tall ladder.  It's not fun, but I do everything in slow motion.  With the doors and windows open and the fans on, I go into the bedroom to make the bed.  

I heard the dog barking, but usually pay no attention.  It's not MY dog, thank goodness.  When I wandered back into the living room .... O M G !!!!!!  You know what it is ... SKUNK!!!  Seriously????  My entire house was now enrobed in the lovely stink of dog versus skunk.  I ran to the windows and slammed them shut.  Too late.  My house now reeks of the combination of two sses ..... stale and skunk.


I just shook my head and looked out the window.  Surely they aren't in MY backyard!!  I threw on my ca-boy boots and made the long walk around the edges.  There has been lots of digging along with two HUGE piles of you-know-what, but I'm sure that's all foxy droppings.  


There was one very small hole, but most of the smell was coming from way over the fence.  Someone is going to be very mad they let their dog outside.  I can't tell you how happy I am it wasn't ME.


Try as I might to get some shuteye before heading out to the Castle, it wasn't to be.  It's BINGO TIME!  I arrived right at the appointed bewitching hour and headed upstairs to the highest tower for a refreshing and eye opening coke.  


I have to admit, I am SO SO lucky to have a wonderful gal named Jackie who sets up everything for me.  On this day I even talked her into learning the infernal machine.  She's the perfect combination ... smart and young!!!  Although being left handed makes it a little harder for her, she rang up everything in perfect order!!  Too bad she plays most of the night, but I'm sure will take over in a pinch.  I feel those pinches coming on .......


The King said he rang up 140 people last week.  Did I mention he called me three times (in Arizona) about how to do stuff?  On this night, it was only 135 peasants who all came to win the $1199 pot.  Add our $250 to that and you've got a good night's wages.  There were lots of new pitchforks, swords and knives accompanied by peasants, many saying they had never done this before.  That requires our speech of how to play, followed up with DO NOT LOSE THAT RED TICKET!  

On this night, one gentleman came to the table with cards in hand, saying he was really sick and needed to go home.  Oh good .... as I backed my chair up a tad.  At least he kept his receipt as requested.  I'm pretty sure when he got a look at the ways you have to get the numbers on the cards in order to win, he was instantly sorry he had joined up.  

It's not your normal 5 numbers in a straight line.  Some have a line with 4 extra squares, some the letter X to win.  Every game is completely different.  He held out his papers, sufficiently handled to give me his personal little flu bugs.  Believe me, if you've ever worked Bingo, you know about the unsanitary offerings of the public.

To be honest, I'm sure he just didn't want to admit he was completely overwhelmed because it wasn't just regular kids Bingo.  I refunded his money, but moved the papers to the trash can by way of a paper napkin.  No use taking any chances!!!

There was one last "problem" who comes every week with an attitude like a badger.  No kidding ... she's a pistola!!!  I always ask if she needs any cash back from her debit card.  She looks at me with glaring red eyes and says NO!!!!  I'VE GOT CASH!!!  

Thirty minutes later, she's throwing her debit card at me wanting cash.  Once she got it, she threw the cash at me wanting more cards.  Yes, I mean literally THREW it at me.  It's very hard to be civil to the peasants (especially this one), but I do my best.  

And so the night finally ended, although the infernal machine was off $3.00.  I was too tired to figure it out.  I finally fell into bed at midnight.  That didn't leave much time for sleep since Cooper always needs to go out at 4:00 am.   

So much unpacking to do ... but first, maybe a little C A T nap!!  Never say that word around Cooper.


11 comments:

  1. I'm always surprised when I go through the cabinets and find expired dates. How did that happen? You always amaze me with the people at Bingo. The patience you have..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try, but I don't always succeed in the patience department!

      Delete
  2. We can't say Cat around Penny or she starts looking around. Where, Where? Let me at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh ... tough little girl that Penny! Too funny!

      Delete
  3. Of gosh, that's all you need is the good smell of a California Skunk, which, by far, is the smelliest skunks in the land!

    Lucky with Indy, she can go out between 7-8 pm, and last until 8:30-9 am. And yes, we can't say "cat", "kitty", "dog", "doggie", "dog park", "bye-bye", ... oh, the list goes on and on...and then there is the food list (which is topped by 'Hot Dog' of course)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indy is a smart cookie!!! It's funny how they know those words!!

      Delete
  4. Forget the expiration date….. its probably the water that taste funny🤡🙊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that, you might be right!!!!

      Delete
  5. I never knew coffee went bad but there is an expiration for a reason. I suppose.
    Good thing Cooper was inside! S K U N K !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either. I wonder if it is true, or if the government just makes them put a date on it. Now canned goods ... I check those out regularly.

      Delete
  6. Hahahaha ... it's a different experience to see people so happy to toss those hundred dollars bills at me!

    ReplyDelete