Monday, September 12, 2022

I Learn Something New Every Day

It's not quite so quiet on the patio this morning as I sip my wonderful cup of coffee.  I do wonder occasionally about the pull date of March 2022.  As you know, I've been hoarding my special fake coffee in an attempt to get it to last until I die.  Oh I've tried all the substitutes, but nothing matches up.  Anyhoo, there's a train going by with screeching wheels.  Once it passes, you don't even hear the cars across the big wash.

It's interesting that I learn something new every day in the desert.  Just look at this baby!!!  Any idea what it is?  On this day I found out I've been missing out.  There's a new Sheriff in town!


And his name is CRUMBL.  Not what I was seeking on this particular trip to town ... I was after ice cream.  Believe it or not, they have opened a COLD STONE about six miles from my location.  My all time favorite ice cream lives there ... coffee lovers with heath bar crunch.  I was on a mission to find it.

It's on the corner, but I had to park in front of THIS.  Oooooh what have we here?  My sweet tooth took complete possession of my brain and feet.  


In the door I went to see what was there.  Expecting a dairy case full of cookies and treats, I was rather taken aback when I saw this.  This is weird ... while a total of eight people worked in the back (I spotted huge bins of cookie dough), there were only these cookies to be seen.  

Here's how it works.  They only make six different cookies for that week.  Well they look pretty tasty to me!  I look up on the board and it tells you all about them.  140 calories.  Are you kidding me?  I can eat FIVE for breakfast!  


The nice lady took my order of four cookies and placed them in this fancy box.  I thought about getting more, but I really wasn't sure of the price.  Once I saw the box, I knew I was in trouble.  This was not going to be a cheap date.  Then of course the little machine asks you for a tip.  Holy Cow!!  This just cost me $15 for FOUR COOKIES and you want a tip too?  My tip is I probably won't be back at that price.


And then I got home and opened the box.  OMG!  Maybe it was worth it after all.  Each cookie probably weighs in at half a pound.  From left to right ..... the best sugar cookie I've ever eaten in my long life, topped with thick almond frosting.  I hate almond flavoring, but this cookie is the all time award winner.

Next up two chocolate chip with more chips than cookie dough ... and finally .... the weirdest of all.  This is French Toast, smothered in cream cheese frosting.  That's the one I demolished first.  Then, as I was signing up online for their "point" system (you get free cookies) I discovered something that ruined my day.

ONE COOKIE IS 500 CALORIES!!!  NOOOOOOOOO!!!  I ate a 500 calorie fat inducing cookie all in one sitting??  What happened to 140 calories?  Turns out you are supposed to cut each cookie into four pieces.  Who knew???  How disappointing is that?  I only get 1/4 of a cookie.  It's okay really, because by the time I finished off that French toast, I was almost sick to my stomach.  These are not your Mama's cookies.  I'm undecided about returning, but the sugar cookie ... it's been calling my name ever since.

 
What happened to the ice cream?  Something weird.  Their display case glass suddenly shattered out of the blue, causing the complete shutdown of the store until it's repaired.  A sad state of affairs!!

Later in the afternoon after taking a tums for the tummy full of too much sweetness, I spotted these guys out back.  It's a cactus wren, sitting on and exploring through that huge cactus without getting one tiny torn in its feet.  This is one cactus I go out of my way never to touch.  The thorns are minuscule.  If you touch it, you instantly have 25 or more to take out with tweezers and a large mirror.


That encouraged me to check the water station once again.  This picture is from last year I think, so no, I didn't see any bobcat.  What I did see however was poop wars.  Yessirree ... that goes nicely with the cookies doesn't it??  

It turns out I have at least TWO bobcats roaming the hill below my house.  I read up on them and learned something new.  Bobcats mark their territory with poop.  No wonder the critters have been sneaking around wary of what's at the water trough.  There are now FIVE nice piles within feet of the water.  The only ones that don't seem to care are the javelina.  Even the coyotes have taken note.


So there's your latest nugget of information you can stick in the back of your mind for the next time you eat a cookie.  

We got a little rain last night, but not near what was predicted.  No new critters have stopped by.  I think the word got out she has a big shovel.  It's supposed to keep it up on and off all day today.  Although I have a new destination in mind, I don't want to go when it's raining, so it's probably going to be another sewing day.  

Aha ... I think it's time for my 1/4 of a chocolate chip cookie.





6 comments:

  1. How the heck does a brand new ice cream display / holding case have it glass shatter? Wonder if someone dropped a hammer on it or something.... Yep, them cookies look good, way more carbs than I can handle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They said it was a bad batch of glass. They have been trying to open for the last year but couldn't get their equipment in.

      Delete
  2. Lol.....1/4 cookie at a time?Obviously this company doesn't know you! And the cookies look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are exactly right Elva!!!! It's all about the sugar!

      Delete
  3. Those cookies look delicious but probably too rich for my blood in more way than one. For some reason I don't think retired people are their target demographic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a "business" store. I saw big boxes of cookies going out.

      Delete