Monday, May 23, 2022

Arranging Cans .....

 Although the days are getting considerably warmer, up to 103 by Wednesday, the nights are staying cool in the high 50's.  That works really well for me since I can pull in the cool, which will last up until late in the evening.  One thing my house does have is a good bit of insulation in spite of the walls of windows. 

 I'm not sure why people put in so many windows, although it is nice to look outside to see who is stealing stuff off your front porch.  In the end, they just cover them up with lots of expensive shutters, floor to ceiling.  Those require cleaning, and we know where THAT'S going!!!  Cleaning is at the bottom of my list.

Here's the latest Fox trot through the back yard.  If you didn't read it yesterday, my faith in neighbors has been restored as the one with the pool fixed the water drain.  YAY!!!  Not only that, but they have caused some construction backup on Highway 66 here, by putting a nice pretty new board in the fox hole.  It will be interesting to see what detour the kids take.


About the ranch ... there was one early 1900's house with 640 acres of land.  After the cattle market sank below the water level, we were forced to sell out and get real jobs.  Luckily a neighbor talked my dad into growing rice.  At that time, we had our own markets for sales.  We made enough to finally pay off the mortgage and build a new house for my parents.  Then all the markets died the death of government.  We were no longer allowed to sell rice overseas.  I bet you didn't know that one!!  Rice sales died completely.

We leased out the property for farming for several years before my dad passed away.  When my mom died too, we sold the land to the company who farmed it, still keeping the two houses.  At that time, I sold my house and horse property to move back to the ranch house permanently.  

Everything was hunky dory until my brother decided to move to Montana and forced the sale of the two houses and remaining forty acres.  I didn't have enough money to buy him out since at that time the value had gone up so high, nor could I afford to buy another house with land for horses.

Sooo ... my heart broke as the last piece was sold off and I finally found this bankruptcy house I live in now, with just enough room to keep two horses.  The new ranch owners fixed up the houses and continue to farm the ground to this day.  I don't go by there any more .... it just makes me too sad.

What better way to cheer me up than FOOD!!!!  I spent a couple of hours rearranging the canned food locker yesterday.  Wasn't I surprised to find things from 2017!!  Yikes!!  I think that's just a tad past the pull date.  I should probably do this more often.  I even have room on the spice rack now, having gotten rid of things from as far back as 2005.  

Then I made a run on the freezer.  If anyone likes street corn, this one is pretty tasty.   I don't eat it like a vegetable, I just toss a small bit on my tacos.  


Obviously it looks nothing like the box!!  I mean really, not even close, but it adds a nice sweet smoky flavor to tacos and burritos.


Having reached my maximum OH CRAP weight, I opted for veggies for dinner.  The on-line pictures looked delicious, and nothing at all like this.  It's zucchini tossed in spices with some parmesan thrown in. Apparently I wasn't supposed to do the throw-in until it was cooked, making for a big mess in my air fryer. 

Then I thought ... why not toss in some broccoli?  For those that have air fryers, do NOT do that.  Those little broccoli flowerets turned black as my driveway tire tracks and ruined the taste of it ALL.  Believe me, burned broccoli is not something you want in your mouth.


So much for eating healthy.  I baked up a few loaves of Hawaiian banana bread to get rid of the bad taste.  It worked like a charm.  Jonathan was also very appreciative.  It's one of his favorites.


I spent most of the day working on this beauty.  It's a Butler saddle, most popular in this area.  I suppose every area has it's saddle maker that everyone swears by.  This is it for me.  I loved it so much I had him make another one, all fancy dancy for showing horses in competitions.  

Now that it's clean, I'll smother it in oil made just for leather to soften it up and restore it's beauty.    When that's done, I'll start on the other saddle.  


The gardeners are coming this morning to remove that grass, so I better get busy opening up Fort Knox to allow them access.  I'll have pictures tomorrow.


14 comments:

  1. Do you keep your saddle(s) 'out' in a room on display, or in a closet? (Just wondering)

    Hope that Fox is not cut off from coming and going into your yard, LOVE the videos of him (them).

    I find it hard to drive by the three restaurants I use to work at. One is totally gone, turned into part of the elite Pavilions Shopping Center. The south area store is now a Mexican Restaurant, and the north area store is now two places, a Sub Shop and the other half is empty. All progress I guess....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep my saddles inside on stands, but covered with what else ... quilts!! I'm not sure about the fox. I've seen them jump up and over the fence, but this may slow them down.

      Delete
  2. Looking back where we grew up always leaves us disappointed. A few of those places are now Parking Lots.
    Nice job oiling your Saddle.
    Be Safe and Enjoy cleaning your Pantry.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You shared your 'home' story with us in Quartzsite, I still can't believe your brother did that. I would be very sad too and would avoid going back.
    So, on to your current home, and the saddles. Looking at another horse? ♥
    That Hawaiian banana bread looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You read my mind! LOL. Not really looking for a horse to keep, but maybe one to ride while in Arizona. There are several places you can take horses out for the day. Might be fun!!

      Delete
  4. My saddle is in the attic. Been there for quiet awhile. Last time it was out was when my daughter was in the school play Oklahoma and there wasn't any horses in it. Really miss not having a horse but I remember hauling hay and water out to the stable during the blizzard of 1978 and snow up to your knees. The Ohio river froze over and people were out there walking on it. But really glad I had one then. It was a dream come true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling Becky, although I was lucky not to have my horses in snow!! That doesn't sound like fun at all!! Horses have always been a big part of my life.

      Delete
  5. Sold my two saddles a long time ago, one my dad's and one my grandads. I had used my dads. Well, time passes. And speaking of THAT - I've got you beat. I found something with a USE BY date of 2011 recently in my pantry. Thought about it for 5 seconds. Wish I had some of that banana bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made my day Judith!! I'm happy you didn't eat whatever it was!!!

      Delete
  6. When the pandemic started Ken started stockpiling cans in the garage..which is why he's eating pork and beans w his eggs in the am. Hard to believe the cans don't even last 2 years anymore, seems they lasted forever before. A friend of ours said that they're doing it on purpose now so we have to get rid of and buy more..Yep makes sense. Love the saddle!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting ... I've never heard of them shortening the Use By date so you would buy more, but I bet it's true. I use things past the date, but if it's over a year, it goes in the trash.

      Delete
  7. Burned broccoli, cooked broccoli, neither tastes good in my mouth. I would try it fresh but otherwise, no thanks. We got ride of all our saddles when we hit the road. Your look awesome though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having broccoli burned once will kill it for life. I USED to like it ... now not so much!! I do love my saddles, they fit like a glove, plus they cost too darn much to get rid of!!

      Delete