Friday, July 30, 2021

Handy ... I'm Becoming HANDY!!

It was another work day, in spite of the rising heat.  Luckily there is almost always a slight breeze running through my RV cover, so if you have eight bottles of water and a chair, you can survive.  Dan and his handy dandy backhoe (I only helped a little with a shovel) were able to fix this washout.  


He dug it out in the center and completely filled it up with big rock.  Water should easily drain out now, not taking all the sand and gravel with it.  Last night was a good test as another gully washer hit the ground.  It didn't last long but it was one of those that makes you think the roof is going to cave in.  Not one rock is out of place.


This is the second washout, mostly because it was fresh fill dirt.  Water runs from way up the hill, across my driveway (and across the gas line) to this point.  Repairs have to be done carefully.

This is now completely filled in with rock, so it too should be hunky dory.  I took a quick look this morning after the heavens let loose and we are all good.  I'll check again when daylight comes around.

I can say without a doubt, everyone should know a handy guy with a backhoe.  I cannot thank Mr. Chance enough!!


In other areas of repair, I finally got up the nerve to replace the second water valve.  Believe it or not, I didn't even need a wrench.  Only WAIT ..... I have the wrong valve.  I sounded something like the Geico gecko saying (dramatically) I HAVE A FLAT TIRE!!!   These lines are different from the previous one I fixed.  I put it together and headed back to Ace Hardware.


Still not sure I knew what I was doing, I took it apart again and installed the new one.  I did a little happy dance.  I think it's working!


Of course you always feel a little worried when you have five little parts left over.  So far it's holding it's own.  There are no geysers in the bathroom ...... yet!


That went so well I decided to tackle my screen door, whose little plastic feet broke off last week.  Wasn't I surprised to find the hardware store had METAL feet.  That certainly sounded more long lasting.  There was a little glitch when I put one on backwards, making me actually use my brain to figure out why the screw didn't go in the hole.

At last the door was almost in place, although which track the feet go in had me stumped for a few minutes.  I found I had celebrated a little too early when I spotted the half inch hole at the bottom where the critters could enter free of charge.

At least I knew that was adjustable.  It took a little ingenuity to figure out how to do it after the door was in the track, but with three screwdrivers and a pair of pliers, I got it done.  It actually rolls SO nice ... like a real screen door. 


There is another big storm coming in today, so sadly I can't get out and explore yet.  I can't believe I'm saying it ... I'm getting a little tired of sewing quilts all day long.  I did get quite a few pictures of last nights lightning storm.  I'll be posting those tomorrow!!



10 comments:

  1. Looks to me like there's a place bugs could come in around the pipe near the floor. Maybe a little caulking would fill the hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like it, but it's actually sealed underneath the silver gizzy. Good observation. Thank you!!!

      Delete
  2. Good job. Some of those water valves do have extra parts, makes them more universal. Had the same situation with some of the toilet parts too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess things aren't very standardized. It made me think I might have put it together wrong.

      Delete
  3. Well, I am impressed. I would be patting my own back a lot if I'd done both those jobs in one day. And so far so good......yea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm waiting for the pat until I'm sure there will be no geysers in the bathroom! LOL

      Delete
  4. It certainly is nice to have friends with skills isn't it!?!?!? We would have been lost without Kevin during our build, sounds like your Mr. Chance is the same to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly true!! Probably would have cost me over two thousand to get that fixed. Hoping I can pay it forward some day.

      Delete
  5. I am always amazed at what you tackle. I bow down to you! Great job on both counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's either try to fix it or dole out the dollars. I prefer trying first.

      Delete