Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Stepping Across the Wet Wall

Somehow I must have been transported to another State.  Maybe Forida!  It rained all night long ... BIG drops that pounded the roof and kept me up most of the night.  Am I not in Yuma Arizona?  Desert?  Land of sun and 70 degrees all winter long?

Someone turned on the rain switch and it didn't stop until yesterday afternoon.  My first thought was to put off the Algodones trip for one more day.  If shuffleboard was cancelled, we should just stay inside with a warm cup of cocoa.  Cooper is even sitting in my lap as I type because it's COLD!!

Instead, I donned my ski parka and spent an hour looking for my umbrella before Cindy and I took off for Mexico.  Did I mention I forgot my phone?  Probably a good thing or I would have had big time charges.  Unfortunately, Cindy didn't bring hers either.  Stuck in Mexico with no communications and no camera.  This picture is from the internet.

It rained the entire time it took us to walk from the Jeep right on past the Purple Pharmacy.  I just followed, tippy toeing across wet tile the entire way.  No jewelry, thank you.  Nope, no dentist.  Shrimp?  I did think about that for a second or two.
We were headed to a pharmacy Ray had found with slightly cheaper prices.  There was no waiting.  I got MY meds before asking about something I got from the Vet for Cooper.  Unfortunately, they only had it in super sized doses.  I could cut them up, but then I would be unsure of the amount he was getting.  I passed.  

The interesting thing is my two bottles of atenolol (taken for migraines) and two bottles of Benadryl, plus a Z-Pak for when I get sick next December, cost $15.00.  Total in California ..... $120.  I looked on the label of one bottle and it had a price of $143.89.  It's no wonder so many flock to Mexico.

Still pouring rain, and packages in hand, we headed straight back to the border crossing.  My hands were full of purse and umbrella, so I wasn't in a hurry to get my passport out as I walked right by two officers.  I was instantly stopped.  Apparently you can't even get in line now without a passport.  I have no problem with that at all.

Fumbling around, I finally got the pocket unzipped and my blue book out.  They let me go.  Not only was there NOT a line but we walked right up to the counter.  In and out in less than 30 minutes.  It was just too wet and miserable to stay longer.

To make up for that however, Cindy and I went BACK to Grandma Jo's (I've been spelling it wrong) for another quick look.  One bolt of fabric in the sale bin called my name, along with this pattern book for less than half price.  SCORE!!
Back at the house and finally a little bit dry, we spent an hour going over quilt patterns, with me asking questions right and left.  I can't thank Cindy enough for taking the time to show me all kinds of new stuff.  My embroidery machine is going to be working overtime upon my return to California.

In the meantime, it's froggy foggy in Yuma.  Everything is soaking wet with no intention of drying out unless the sun comes out.  It must be on vacation.
This morning I'll be packing up for the next leg of my trip.  I'm off to Quartzsite to visit blogger friends, hoping I can find them.  They are parked out in the desert somewhere.  You know the directions ... turn in at "this" mile marker, go straight past the dump station, turn left at the grave marker (or is it the yellow ribbon ... or maybe it was red!!).  All the while hoping I don't get lost!!  Oh well ... that's just another adventure!!










15 comments:

  1. It is nice to get in and out of Mexico get your stuff and return before the lineups and crowds start after 11 am. Too bad it was raining , guess you got no shrimp tacos.
    Travel safe and enjoy the nice easy drive to Q.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish we were going to the Bloggerfest. Attended the very first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Jan. That’s when I met you🤗

      Delete
    2. I'm not going to make it either Jan. It's just a few days late and I'm already behind schedule! LOL

      Delete
  3. A wet day in Algodones for sure, no wonder there was no line up! Glad you got such a good deal on your meds, like my shingles meds too. Awesome!
    No worries about finding us, 2nd right turn after the maintenance sheds and yes there is a marker of some kind at the road. When we know you're coming we'll out there waving and hollering! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy! Looking forward to it ... if I don't get lost that is.

      Delete
  4. Once past the dump and maintenance area, find the marker and look right for our Canadian Flag flying above our trailer. Can't miss the group of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha!! Perfect marker your flag. That will make it easier to find.

      Delete
  5. Does customs ask about your drugs? Do you have to have a prescription or can you bring back anything? I don't understand how that works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent you a message. It's easy peasy as long as it's not opioids. They ask, I tell them what I got and they say have a good day.

      Delete
  6. Hoping to be back shortly after lunch.
    Safe travels and Enjoy the visit.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping to catch up with you guys today, but I'm not sure of the time.

      Delete
  7. Isn’t it great you buy a bottle atenolol for a whole year’s For the same price you buy at for 30 days
    I use the same thing for Hp But with my Med-plan all blood pressure medication comes free.. thank you
    If you lived in Phoenix or Tucson ( you do )and they actually have a senior fill your medicine box tour Where they go down to Nogales For four hours
    Even so The border patrol does not check their meds they’ll make three and four trips back to the bus to drop off their prescription drugs
    you think a drug lord is bad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine USED to be free until the insurance company dropped all us retired people. I've never heard of that med tour. I would definitely go to Nogales, except it has become pretty dangerous. Maybe with a group it would be better. Always nice to have a second option.

      Delete