Wednesday, August 9, 2017

My Secret Hideout!!

Sometimes I just luck into things.  Such was the case on Sunday when I found the best breakfast/lunch hideout.  Shhhhhh it's a secret just between you and me!!

While walking around the expensive Cannery Pier Hotel in Astoria, I decided to be bold and just walk in so I could look around.  I like a nice hotel as much as the next person, especially if it's on one of my travel apps that give big discounts.

Surprisingly, they were very nice as I sniffed in the wonderful smell of baking cookies, which they serve for free at breakfast in the lobby alcove.  I admired the architecture out loud, so the ladies offered me a tour of the rooms ... self-guided, along with a walk down the second floor hallway where all the history of Astoria is told on the walls.  Even if you don't stay here, go walk around inside.  It's very understated considering the prices.
This hotel was built on the 100 year old piers left when the cannery was demolished.  That's saying something for the wood in the old days.  Every room has a fireplace and windows facing the river.  Want to go outside?  They all have balconies.  
Every room also has a ball and claw tub with weird shutters that open into the bedroom.  I guess you can watch TV while you take a bath.  If this isn't soothing enough for you, you can try the chocolate orange body wrap for $95, or the chocolate ginger wrap, maybe a dead sea mud wrap would suit you better, all at escalating prices.  I'll pass.

As I was getting ready to leave, one of the gals came and got me for their wine tasting.  Are you kidding me?  I'm not a guest, I'm just looking.  Come on down for some smoked salmon appetizers and a full glass of wine.  You're welcome to join in, guest or not.  Now THAT'S hospitality!!
If you're adventurous, they even have bicycles on the deck you can just pick up and go for a ride down the riverwalk.  I chose to drive to this secret hideaway mentioned in a quiet conversation with one of the vendors at the Sunday Market.

I drove all the way through town to 39th Street, where I turned left into a hotel parking lot.  Even though it looks like you're at a dead end, keep going across the trolley tracks and out on to the rickety boardwalk to the 39th Street Pier.  Go early ... like at least by 10:00 as there isn't much in the way of parking.  

This looks like you shouldn't be here ... but walk down the long driveway (in the middle of the building) like you owned the place.  At the very end is Coffee Girl.  My new secret hideout.
As you walk through the alleyway, this is your view of the river.  Not bad ... not bad at all.  What a great place to have coffee in the morning.
I quickly found out they also serve breakfast and lunch.  I had just eaten breakfast, but really, you can't expect me to report on the food if I don't eat, right?  So I ordered the panini breakfast sandwich, ham and eggs with cheese.  Be patient.  I saw two orders which had to be corrected, and it took about 45 minutes for mine to be served.  Who cares ... it's a beautiful view.  The sandwich was really good, along with fresh blueberries and raspberries.  

I'm pretty sure the neighbors thought I was crazy when I asked to take a picture of THEIR breakfast ... I can't remember ... Finnish maybe?  It's veggies (mostly carrots) and cream cheese on a bagel.  Whatever floats your boat ... even the smoked salmon bagel looked good.  I heard the coffee is fabulous, but I only drink phony coffee.  
I watched the ships going by while stuffing myself beyond belief.  You have to eat everything on your plate or you sit there until it's gone, was ringing in my brain.  I think my meal was $10
There's another surprise at this location I'll tell you about tomorrow.  Not many people go there, but if you're having breakfast, this will give you a chance to walk it off!!  








9 comments:

  1. Just catching up. You find the best places to visit. Unfortunately we'd be there in the middle of winter to see it all. we'll definitely need another lifetime.
    That food all looks delicious!
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter would be a little chilly and rainy wet, but still a great place to visit.

      Delete
  2. Lovely hotel,but my rv still feels better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree, but you COULD go in for just the spa deal, then go back to your RV. I do rather like the balcony at the end of the day however.

      Delete
  3. That's a car carrier ship going by. I don't drink coffee, but my friends say that Coffee Girl is the best around. Good to know they serve food, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That ship was a biggie Carol. They have muffins and pastries too ... all looked very good.

      Delete
  4. Good Morning Nancy,
    I have been looking through you blog archives looking for your Instant Pot. Looking on Amazon it is confusing There is DOU80, 8qt LUX60 6 qt., DUO Plus 6qt., Instant Plus Smart Bluetooth 6qt., Smart Ultra 6qt. I’m single I just want something simple and I think you have what I’m looking for which model did you get?
    JWM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS confusing Jim. Here's the scoop. Buy either the Instant Pot DUO50 (5 qt) or the DUO60 (6 qt). The DUO 80 is huge for big families, the LUX is awful to use. After reading all the horror stories about new pots being broken and warranties disregarded, I paid the full $100 price from Amazon. As a prime member, it came in two days and was in perfect condition. I didn't need bluetooth or smart ultra ... just a good 5 qt pot to cook in. Either the 50 or 60 will work for you. There are a lot of fakes out there ... be sure and get the real thing.

      https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Multi-Use-Programmable-Pressure/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1502314058&sr=1-4&keywords=instant+pot+duo60

      Delete
    2. It appears they don't make the 5 quart any more. Go for the 6 quart.

      Delete