Thursday, July 30, 2015

Pigs And Goats And Chickens ... OH MY!!!!

Little did we know what friends we would make at the Clatsop County Fair yesterday.  There's nothing better than a good old fashion county fair with the spotlight on agriculture (except maybe good wind for my kite).  Some however, were unimpressed with all the hullabaloo and took a nap!!!
Instead of the normal concrete and asphalt, most of THIS fair happens in the dirt.  We parked in someone's field and since it was Senior Day (we were all feeling kind of senior), instead of walking up the VERY steep hill, we grabbed the local Tractor Tram.  Our Senior Entry Fee was $1.00 each.
I practically RAN to the arena when I saw the horses going in.  Most likely this was a horsemanship class where the kids are judged on their ability to handle and show their horse.  I think I was 14 or 15 at my first horse show in Mariposa and so nervous I threw up!!  Lucky for me, I got first place!!  
This little fair had everything ... most all in one really big building.  There were a few of every variety ... beef cattle, dairy cattle, one with a sign that said don't get too close, he's a good kicker!!
The chicken competition was going strong as these 4-H kids showed off their babies.  I've actually not seen this many weird looking chickens in my life.  I'm thinking plaid was a requirement!
We had just plain old brown chickens on the ranch where I gathered the eggs every day after school.  I didn't know they sold eggs in the store until I was in eighth grade!!!  All these guys got first place before going to the Grand Championship!!  How cool is that?
Showing their dairy calves, these three boys did really well as the calves drug them around the arena. I tried this too, but my little Arizona-desert-born baby didn't fare so well.  How can you get third place when there's only two in the class???  
There were friendly goats (lots of goats) trying to eat my camera strap ... and my fingers ... and sheep galore like this friendly baby.  
Pigs of every size and color ... a little on the stinky side.  You haven't lived until you've smelled a barnyard pig in YOUR barnyard!!!
Here's the beauty that was sleeping above.  She had seven or eight little piglets chowing down on dinner.
In the second building were sights you don't see much any more.  Row after row of pickled things, canned things, jams and jellies ... many sporting ribbons.  Interesting to note here .... the ribbons are not first and second place .... they are blue ribbons and red ribbons.  I like their take on this ... no one is FIRST ... they are just BLUE!!
We looked at some great photography, some amazing bouquets like this one and some of the most spectacular, gorgeous flowers Oregon can grow!!  
This one is for Barbara and Tom Westerfield.  Their daughter runs the floral department of the Big Fresno County Fair that I will attend when I return home.  
Outside the dog show was in progress as we watched kids take their pets around the course, jar of peanut butter in hand!!  Sometimes this guy didn't want to do the required activity, like go through the tire instead of around it, but this boy persevered and got it done, which we all applauded.  It's not about being the best ... it's about completing the task!!!  Unfortunately the second dog refused practically everything ... I don't think she had seen this course before!!
Then we came to the "good stuff" as far as Dan was concerned.  These BMX bike riders can do tricks you wouldn't believe!!  This particular kid isn't a "kid" at all.  He's 45 years old and has been doing this most of his life.


Three bike riders wowed us with their gravity defying tricks, like when they jumped over this girl!!

It's the landing that's scary!!!!  The ramp here heads straight down to the pavement!!
There was lots of air .... look ma, no hands!!
And even MORE air!!
Crazy right???  I can barely ride my dirt bike and these guys are doing tricks like you wouldn't believe!!  It was a pretty great show, I have to admit!!!
After stuffing my face with a corn dog (what's a county fair without a corn dog??) and a new treat ... sweet cinnamon dough baked around a wooden dowel ... take out the dowel and fill it with ice cream .... what could be better on a warm day at the fair???  Hey, it was baked so it was good for me!!!

The carnival rides were on the opposite side of the highway, accessed by a nice walk-over bridge.  
We didn't ride any of the rides, but Miss Patty was at least tall enough if she wanted to!!  What a great day!!  If you should happen upon a fair in your travels, be sure and go.  No matter how small, they are fun to experience and your dollars help the local 4-H kids have GREAT memories!!
One last picture ... I know there were a LOT!!  On the way home crossing the bridge, I spotted a wind surfer screaming along way out in the bay.  Dan slowed down, I grabbed my camera and snapped this picture.  He went across the entire bay as we drove along and Dan clocked him at about 20-25 mph ... on a board .... in the water ..... with the sharks!!!!  Or maybe not .... who knows.  It was impressive to say the least!!
No kite flying yesterday ... I spent the rest of the day going through my mail that I picked up at the UPS store.  If the winds are fair today however, you'll find me at the beach!!


No comments:

Post a Comment