Saturday, March 23, 2013

Home Again, Home Again!!

I'm quickly learning that it makes a difference which day of the week you travel.  I do try to pay attention to the time of day, but the day of the week definitely can make it more difficult.  Friday happened to be TGIF day into Spring Break in central California.  Traffic was the worst, intertwined with so many Highway Patrol that the trucks stacked up in the right lane going 50 mph.  It was a long trip home!!

No matter, I made it in plenty of time to unload the beast.  I've decided I'm going to have two wardrobes, neither with very many items.  So if you see me wearing the same shirts every other day, it's because I'm tired of dragging everything from the RV to the house!!  I guess TWO of everything isn't such a bad idea.

The good ... and exciting ... news is that I really paid attention to the fuel mileage on this trip.  It was a total of 392 miles round trip to Chico with  a miles-per-gallon of ....... wait for it .......  10.26!!!!!!!  And yes, I was towing the Jeep.  I don't speed by the way.  I would rather enjoy my trip and not be looking over my shoulder constantly for red lights, or be scared I'm going to run off the road!!

The bad news is that my rig has to have DEF fluid, the new be-all end-all for diesel exhaust in California.  What a pain in the you-know-what.  At this point I have to purchase it in 2-gal containers for about $13.  For those service stations that have it, it sells for $2-something per gal.  Big difference!!  So I went to a Travel Center to fill my tank ... except my tank is on the opposite side of the fill hose.   The only thing I can think to do is get a 5 gallon container (like a gas can) and fill it up, then use that to fill my 7-gal tank.  I'm driving my truck back today to see if the hose from lane #1 will reach to the lane behind the pump where my tank would be.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated!!

Another stash of yarn from Heart Strings to keep me busy.  All of these came from the 50% off bin ... some nice varieties to play around with.
The dogs were exhausted from the long ride home.  A little dinner and they were out like a light!!
Now it's time to get serious about packing for Alaska!!!

Happy Trails .......

No comments:

Post a Comment