There is one thing about Maui that never goes away, and that is the wind. You land on one end of the low valley and stay on the OTHER end of the low valley ... so the Tradewinds just whip through the area like crazy. The wind brings all the moisture from the ocean, and as it climbs up the sides of the mountains, it becomes clouds that obscure your view. I won't mention the chickens and dogs this time!
On rare occasion, such as this day, Haleakala volcano (which thankfully is dormant) can be seen from our yard. Lava rolled down that big hill to become this island, and is where Cyndae's property resides. Land is so expensive over here that every 1/2 acre has THREE houses on it. They live in one and rent out the other two. Rents run $2-3000 a month. Pretty pricey.
The good news is that up-country is much cooler. The very top is at 10,000 feet, higher than you would think for an island.
Though I thought we might get one day to just melt into our chairs, we had things to do. First stop was the bakery yet again. Who can't use a few more pounds!! We actually did very well on food. Lunches at our favorite places ran about $25 each, but made two meals, so not too bad considering where we were. Maui is more laid back and not NEAR as expensive as Oahu. Food trucks are a big thing now, but they too run $25 for lunch.
Next stop ... a new to us beach with practically NO ONE in sight. That's my kind of place to sit and watch the ocean. Surfing was terrible because the waves were too small, and paddle boarding was terrible because the waves were too big.
This doesn't look bad, yes? NO ... it's BAD. This was one of the smaller waves that came through.
Turn your sound up and you will get the idea. Big rollers started coming in just when Cyndae decided to swim with a pool noodle. Not me ... I already did my rollover. She did fine until she tried to come back in and got hit by two HUGE waves that knocked her down to the sand. I got up, but she was able to right herself and get out. Everyone going out, even the kids, were getting slammed. I stayed nice and dry on the beach. Even sitting and watching the waves is worth the trip over here.
We checked out a couple of other spots, but they were all the same. One local said the last set of big storms that came through has changed their weather patterns such that the ocean is too rough for just about anything.
Back home, I hung out with Baba for awhile before calling it a day. You never know when to head in or when to go to bed with the 3 hour time difference. My apologies to those people I called at 1:00 in the morning.
Days end found us packing, as the week was over. We both have appointments to get to on the mainland. Another trip is planned for August or early September. Maybe we can stay longer next time.
The BEST news ... other than I'm possibly going back to Maui ... is that Kitters was not only here, but IN the house! I called and she came running, though she stopped dead and just stared at me. I'm not sure she recognized who I was. More on that tomorrow!! ALOHA!!!
Glad you had a good time.
ReplyDeleteThankful you got home safely .
Thanks for sharing such beautiful pictures..
Frances:)
It's a beautiful place to visit.
DeleteWelcome Home...looks like you had a great trip and already
ReplyDeleteplanning the next one. Kitters will be happy you are back.
Sue
Kitters is VERY happy!!
DeleteGlad you enjoyed your time away and can hopefully do it again soon.
ReplyDeleteHopefully Kitters did not have a collection of gifts waiting for your return.
Stay Safe and Enjoy your return.
It's about time.
I was pretty worried about those "gifts"!!
DeleteWelcome Home! What a great trip, so beautiful! Nice that Kitters makes herself at home LOL!
ReplyDeleteThank you ... it was a GREAT trip.
DeleteNice that you got home safe and sound. Too bad the ocean did not co-operate. I'm not a fan of waves at all so it would be beach sitting for me the whole time!
ReplyDeleteThat's pretty much what I did ... sat on the beach!!
DeleteMy favorite "Chill " Place.... Alooooooha!
ReplyDeleteAloooooooha! It was so nice to get back to the island.
Delete